MP Richard Fuller has welcomed a £3.7million boost for Bedford Hospital this winter.
Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt announced on Tuesday (September 10) his Department’s plans for winter and the allocation of £250million to NHS England.
This included an allocation of £3.7millon to Bedford Hospital NHS Trust.
Bedford and Kempston MP, Richard Fuller, who raised concerns last week about the impact of winter following the closure of Riverbank ward, said he was very pleased with the announcement.
He urged the local Hospital team to use it effectively and, in particular, to ensure its staff are vaccinated against flu.
The funding is targeted at accident and emergency departments to help them deal with seasonal pressures during the winter months.
Richard, who met Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt on Monday to discuss progress with returning paediatric services to Bedford, said: “Winter months will be tough ones for hospitals, but given recent difficulties at Bedford Hospital, this funding will be a ‘shot in the arm’ for the A&E team.”