Keen motorcyclist’s death was accidental

editorial image

An experienced motorcyclist died after a tragic accident.

Darren Jon Gray, 30, lost control of his bike while travelling southbound on the A1 on Monday, March 19, Bedford Coroner’s Court heard on Wednesday (October 17).

Mr Gray, 30, had just passed the junction with the A428 at Wyboston when the accident occurred at around 4.40pm.

Detective sergeant Robin Carr from the Metropolitan Police saw the motorbike go past while he was off duty and waiting for the lights to change at the junction.

He said: “It was a beautiful day and very sunny with no wind. Visibility was excellent,”

“I was sitting waiting to go and it was at that point a motorcycle went past me from right to left at a very high speed. The vehicle was under control and it seemed to be accelerating.”

Deputy coroner, Martin Oldham, read out a statement given by witness, Chloe McGuire. She described how she saw a fast moving object out of the corner of her eye as she drove along.

Shortly afterwards she saw Mr Gray, of St Neots, flying towards the central reservation while his bike remained on the road.

An ambulance, which happened to be passing, stopped at the scene and the A1 traffic ground to a halt with several people getting out of their vehicles to help. Mr Carr called the emergency services and took witness statements.

Paramedics managed to revive a pulse in Mr Gray by using CPR and a defibrillator. He was then rushed to hospital where he sadly died.

PC Ian Marsh from the Herts and Beds Collision Unit, attended the scene. He said: “I understand Mr Gray was a very experienced motorcyclist and looking at his bike and the kit he was wearing he took it very seriously.”

Observations of skid marks revealed that Mr Gray lost control but there is no indication of what caused this.

There was no evidence of mobile phone use or intoxication. Both the road and bike were in a good condition.

Mr Gray was familiar with the road and lived a happy life. His speed is not thought to have been a factor.

Concluding the inquest, Mr Oldham ruled that Mr Gray’s sad death was accidental.