Broadband speeds should be improved by a new deal.
Central Beds Council, along with Bedford Borough Council and Milton Keynes Council, has signed a new contract with BT Openreach.
The company is already rolling out superfast broadband infrastructure but it would not reach some rural areas.
Central Beds is paying the extra £1.2m so 90 per cent of homes and business get speeds of 24mbps or faster and the remaining 10 per cent get at least 2mbps. BT Openreach will invest £2.6m.
Central Beds Councillor Richard Wenham, deputy executive member for corporate resources, said: “We have been listening to local residents and businesses, who say they want better broadband. These processes take time but today’s contract signing is a crucial step towards making that a reality.”
BT Openreach will now assess which areas will receive the upgrade from next year. It is not yet known whether the Kings Reach area of Biggleswade will be listed.
In the meantime Business Beacon, which is sponsored by Woodfines Solicitors in Sandy, is holding a second forum about broadband. Anyone interested in taking part should contact firstname.lastname@example.org