Cincinatti Seventies Sunday League

editorial image

This week Memory Lane takes a look back at three town sports teams from the 1970s.

Cincinatti was one of the largest and best known employers in Biggleswade for around 40 years producing high precision machine tools for industry.

With a huge factory based in Dells Lane, it was a company that made ‘machines to produce machines’, manufacturing a wide range of grinding, milling, boring and broaching apparatus; hydraulic presses; and injection and compression moulding machines for plastics.

The company was originally called Weatherley Oilgear Ltd and moved from London to works in Palace Street (now Bonds Lane), Biggleswade in 1939. With around 200 workers they were the first major engineering employer in the town.

In 1958, the company built a new factory on the Dells Lane site, which included two huge workshops known as the Healds and Weatherley sides, along with administration offices and a canteen. The site was entered by a large gate complete with gatehouse and security.

Like many of the manufacturers in the town over that period, the company had an ethos of taking care of their employees and consequently had an active sports and social club.

This photo is of the Cincinnati Sunday League Team. It was originally supplied to us by Mr C Davies and is thought to date from the late 70s.

The players have been named as follows. In the back row, L to R are: ?, Dave Jenkins, Gerry Gray, Chris Davies, ?, ?. And in the front row are?, Lenny Hough, ?, Tony Song, Stan Bard and Bob Puzey. Can readers remember any of the others?