The tiny school building at Stanford stands at the junction between Old School Lane and the main road through the village. The school opened in 1899 for children between the ages of four and seven. It was affiliated to the National Society, an organisation for teaching children according to the principles of the Church of England.
In 1904, five years after being built, a report on the condition of the school was made. The surveyor stated: “This is a very substantial brick and tile structure, well lighted, airy and lofty, in good condition, bright and pleasing”. The only sour note was the privies which were “too near the school to be free from unpleasant possibilities”.
By 1912 just 16 children attended. The School Inspector noted: “There was some falling off in the efficiency of this little school at the beginning of the year but the lost ground has been fully recovered, and the present state of the school is very creditable to the mistress while order and tone are excellent”.
Falling numbers meant that the school closed in 1921 having been open for just 22 years. The building is now an attractive private house.
Thanks go to the Bedford & Luton Archives and Records Service for the photograph and history.