Fire crews tackle two homes blazes

Fire service
Fire service

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call about the smell of smoke from outside a property in Church Street, Biggleswade at 11.06pm on Sunday October 18.

Firefighters from Biggleswade and Sandy found that a fire in the kitchen was out but that there was a lot of smoke in the property which they cleared using positive pressure ventilation.

Also on Sunday at 4pm Fire Control received a call about a chimney fire in Stotfold Road, Arlesey. They used a stirrup pump and chimney rods to remedy the situation and clear the chimney. In the last three years there have been 168 chimney fires in Bedfordshire and generally they are caused by lack of cleaning of the chimney.