Games console starts Biggleswade house fire

Fire and rescue
Fire and rescue

Two people were injured in a Biggleswade house fire, caused when a console overheating after it was covered by clothes, which then caused a bed to catch fire.

Beds Fire Service was called to a house fire with people possibly trapped in Urban Way, Biggleswade at 12:55 on Saturday afternoon, . One man was treated for smoke inhalation using oxygen and a woman for minor injuries caused when she slipped leaving the house. Paramedics assisted but neither casualty was required to go to hospital.

Technical Manager Darren Cook, who was officer in charge, said: “While the bedroom window had failed due to the heat, because the bedroom door was closed it prevented the fire from spreading to the rest of the property and also restricted the amount of smoke damage. Fortunately the fire was quickly extinguished and most of the property saved from the fire.

“Examining the seat of the fire we found that a games console had been left on and then had clothes put over it. This caused the console to overheat which caught the clothes alight and this then set fire to the bed.

“We are warning parents and children about the dangers of leaving games consoles switched on and unattended. They should always ensure that consoles and other electrical devices have adequate ventilation so they keep cool. We would advise people to ensure that games consoles are not left unattended when switched on and any electricaldevice, even a phone, is not covered up by clothes or anything else. “