Get your chimney swept urge firefighters as THREE more flues go up in flames

Firefighters tackle a chimney blaze PNL-160217-173545001
Firefighters tackle a chimney blaze PNL-160217-173545001

Firefighters are urging people to get their chimneys swept after being called to three blazes this week.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a home in High Street, Upper Gravenhurst, on Valentine’s Day after when “lighting their fire” left owners dialling 999.

The second blaze took place on Monday (February 15) when the flue of a wood burner caught light in a home in Silver Street, Stevington.

And just yesterday morning fire crews tackled a third chimney fire shortly after midnight, in a house in Wootton.

Prevention Support Manager Thomas Warner said: “Keeping your chimney clean and free of debris helps prevent any build-up of combustible deposits that could catch fire.

“During the summer, when chimneys aren’t used much, they can also become home to birds’ nests, cobwebs or other material that helps a chimney fire start. Birds’ nests and other debris can also block the flue which means smoke and deadly Carbon Monoxide gas, released during burning, can seep back into the house poisoning the occupants.

“We recommend that you have a working Carbon Monoxide Detector in any room with solid fuel appliance. Under new laws that came into effect in October 2015 landlords are required to fit carbon monoxide alarms in rooms containing solid fuel appliances.”

To prevent chimney fire householders should:

· Ensure chimneys are swept regularly by a professional chimney sweep.

· Between “sweeps” keep chimneys, flues and appliances clean and well maintained

· Always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers

· Store fuel away from the appliance so sparks do not set it alight

· Ensure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house

· Ensure good quality and appropriate fuel is used

· Avoid blocking air vents or air bricks or interrupting the air supply