Tributes paid after Tory activist, 21, struck by train at Sandy

Elliott Johnson
Elliott Johnson

Tributes were paid to a young Conservative journalist killed on a railway line at Sandy nearly two weeks ago.

Elliott Johnson, 21, was passionate about politics and had recently worked as the political editor of youth movement, Conservative Way Forward at the time of his death on September 15.

Friends paying tribute to Mr Johnson online, alleged that he had been bullied in recent months.

It has been reported that Mr Johnson left a note in his bedroom bearing the names of party members and activists alleged to have bullied him. A file for the coroner is currently being prepared by British Transport Police (BTP).

Donal Blaney, chairman of Conservative Way Forward, said: “Elliott was a talented and enthusiastic blogger who had the potential to become a campaigning conservative journalist.

“I can only imagine the turmoil that he must have been in to feel that he had no hope and no choice other than to end his life so tragically young. I offer his family my sincerest condolences and prayers.”

It is understood that Elliott grew up in Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire, before attending university in Nottingham, where he studied history. He graduated with a 2:1 in summer, while standing unsuccessfully as a Conservative councillor in one of the city’s wards, before moving to London.

A tribute from his family stated: “Elliott was pursuing a successful start to a career in political journalism in London. This was Elliott’s dream and he was excited at a number of new opportunities on the horizon.

“He was caring and loyal to family and friends and will be irreplaceable to everyone who knew and cared for him.”

Regarding the bullying claims, the Conservative Party confirmed one member has been suspended and three others banned from the party conference next month. An internal disciplinary inquiry will take place.

A spokesman for BTP said: “We were called at 6.42pm on Tuesday, September 15, to Sandy station in Bedfordshire, following reports of a body on the line. Colleagues from Bedfordshire Police and East of England Ambulance Service also attended, and Elliott Johnson, 21, from Wisbech in Cambridgeshire, was pronounced dead at the scene.

“His death is not being treated as suspicious, and his family has been informed.

“A file will be prepared for the coroner.”