Arlesey miss penalty in Aylesbury stalemate

Lewis Wilson takes the penalty for Arlesey.
Lewis Wilson takes the penalty for Arlesey.

A first half penalty miss was as close as Arlesey came to breaking the deadlock against Aylesbury United on Saturday - the match ending 0-0.

The Blues had their chances to beat lowly United but were also denied by the post and some poor finishing in this wind-affected Southern League Division One Central fixture.

Conditions at Arlesey were far from perfect for playing football, and despite both teams trying hard, it proved tricky for them to produce much quality.

Arlesey began with the wind behind them and in the second minute a driven free kick from Luke Abraham on the left was well cleared by Alex Collard for a corner.

However the Ducks went close soon after Lewis Osborne collected the ball and turned well to cross to Tyrone Taylor at the far post, but he put his header wide.

In a first half with few chances at either end it was the home team who were in charge, with Ben Farrell and Harry Carr seeing plenty of the ball.

In the 18th minute, Farrell picked out Lewis Wilson through the centre but Jake Bewley was in quickly to clear. Wilson again and Luke Abraham both had shots but were unable to score.

Three minutes from halftime the home side had a golden chance to go ahead. Jack Wood was fouled on the edge of the area, the referee awarding a penalty. Wilson stepped up, but his effort was well saved by Zaki Oualah.

The visitors had the strong wind behind them in the second half, Osborne from range forcing a save from Nick Thompson.

However on 53 minutes Christian Tavernier passed to Wilson but his shot was straight at Oualah. Then later the same player ran through, rounded the keeper but put his shot over the bar.

Farrell had two great openings for Arlesey in the final minutes - first putting a 25 yard shot just wide and then smashing an effort against the post.

So Arlesey’s struggles to win at home continue - with just two victories so far this season. But after a very wobbly start they find themselves in mid table comfortably clear of the relegation zone.

The Blues head to Beaconsfield SYCOB on Saturday.