Biggleswade slump to a fourth consecutive loss at the hands of London Colney

First for sports news
First for sports news

Biggleswade United went down 2-0 to SSML Premier Division high flyers London Colney as they suffered their fourth defeat on the bounce.

United go into their final league game of the season at Sun Sports on Saturday on the back of a poor run of form but safe in the knowledge that a mid-table position has been secured.

Saturday’s performance was played out with an air of complacency by United, and subsequently it was London Colney who took the three points with two almost identical goals scored midway through the second half.

The first period was far from a showcase, with neither side testing each other’s goalkeeper. United’s Grant Beckwith was probably the busier of the two, saving a free-kick from Rhys Lawrence and punching away an attempt by Spencer Clark-Mardel.

United’s Jack Boyd went the closest for the hosts but was denied by a goalline clearance from Blueboys defender Tom Smith.

The second period saw United unlucky not to break the deadlock when Sam Nair chased down a seemingly lost cause, but the visitors’ young keeper Jack Smith managed to get a glove to Nair’s low strike.

In the 66th minute United were caught on the counter-attack after a run from deep by United’s man of the match Ollie Peters left the United rear guard under-manned.

There was a hint of offside as Dan Fitzgerald crossed to the unmarked James Ewington who had the simple task of tapping the ball home past the stranded Beckwith for 1-0.

It was a case of déjà vu 10 minutes later, with United caught on the counter-attack once again.

A high ball in to the United area found Ewington on the goalline, with no sign of a raised flag, and he pumped the ball into the net with ease.

United’s Nyasha Sagwete almost made it 2-1 with 12 minutes to go when a stunning volley from the edge of the Blueboys’ area saw Smith pull off an equally stunning save to maintain the visitors’ two-goal cushion.

The final minutes saw United push forward as Reynaldo Carbon saw two efforts go wide, while a header from United’s youngest ever skipper Will Wright – who donned the armband at the tender age of 17 – just missed the target.