Boyd bags hat-trick for Young Boys but Atletico Europa claim Premier crown

M&DH Insurance Premier Division

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 4th April 2012, 11:18 am

Caldecote Young Boys 3 Queensmen 0

CALDECOTE Young Boys returned to league action on Sunday after the two weeks of cup semi-finals in which they reached both. They were looking to get rid their Manager of the Month hoodoo by beating visitors Queensman at Harvey Close in what was a dress rehearsal for the League Cup Final.

With a confidence start by both side, the Young Boys created the game’s opening chances but missed them both. In the tenth minute Dan Webb tooka throw-in which bounced around the Ampthill sid’es penalty area before Jack Boyd shot and missed!

Ten minutes later there was a dangerous challenge on a Queensman player but play went on and the Young Boys broke, a flick to Boyd seeing him open the scoring. But the referee then called Lee Coan over and showed him a red card leaving Caldecote to play the remainding 70 minutes with ten men.

The Young Boys were the stronger of the two even with ten and they created goalscoring chances. After 36 minutes Ricky Aris was put through on goal but his shot was saved so it remained 1-0 at half time.

The second half started well for Caldecote but misses by Tom Cookman from a Boyd cross while Kai Griffith-Shilton also had a shot saved. On 55 minutes Boyd fired over the bar but he made it 2-0 shortly afterwards. Then Dan Webb’s long throw split the Queens defence and Boyd ran onto the loose ball to complete his hat-trick.

Caldecote Young Boys: Buckland, Coan, Robinson, Webb, Wallace, Shilton, Aris, Gower, Giles, Boyd, Cookman. Subs: Hall, Kemp, Franklin.

Sunday Round-Up

THE Premier Division title has been won by Atletico Europa after Meltis Mexicans failed to field a side against Oakley. Sadly this has taken the gloss off the fight for the championship but Atletico are the worthy winners remaining unbeaten throughout the long campaign.

Atletico’s game against Lawson Park Rangers was similarly called off when Rangers failed to raise a side. Caldecote Young Boys beat Queensmen 3-0 in the only surviving Premier Division match.

In Division One, Old Hastingsburians beat Kempston Hammers 2-1 while Dunton Sunday hit Stewartby for eight and Sharnbrook Casuals made it 10-1 in their home match against Harrold & Carlton.

Division Two had only the one match, Bumble Bee Flitwick taking both points off Cranfield Sunday 4-2. M&DH Clapham are level on points at the top of Division Three with a 5-0 win against Wells Stars while Flitwick Eagles missed a trick by being held 1-1 at home to Bedford Allsters so both are out of the title race.

Meltis Rangers and Mile Road Casuals are safely midtable after Meltis beat the Casuals 3-1.

Bedford Cupids made an unfortunate slip in Division Four after losing 3-1 away at Oakley Reserves. This has severely dented the Cupids’ chance of top spot, especially as Shillington Pirates hammered Bird in Hand Lower Stondon 14-0 to take over top spot from Rose Biggleswade who have finished their league programme.

Goldington Rangers are still in with a chance of the title after their 3-0 away win at Bedford Albion, but the Rangers are running out of games.

Westoning RC continue to blaze a trail at the top of Division Five beating Shillington Pirates Reserves 7-2.

AF Mato won 5-0 at Salento while Sandy Titans beat Alfa Oakley 2-1 and Bedford Old Boys shared the spoils with Oakley Wanderers following 2-2 draw, all four clubs sitting safely a midtable position.

In the Under 21 Extra Competition Brickhill Wanderers ‘A’ held Barton Rovers 1-1 while Brickhill started short of players but were the better team in the first half, going in all square at half time.

Dean Carney in the Barton goal kept the Rovers in the game with some fine saves, but the deadlock was broken when Brickhill employed the route one ploy, finding their striker in space allowing him to bring the ball down to score.

Barton were then spurred into action and became the better side after that, the visiting keeper having to bring off a string of fine saves. The scores were levelled when a corner by Dennis Mpinganjira bobbled about in the penalty area, and Simon Glass hit a 25 yard screamer into Brickhill’s net. The two teams kept at it ‘hammer and tongs’ but a winner could not be found by either side. Brickhill Wanderers ‘B’ team beat Luton Central 2-1 and Leighton Corinthian Seniors beat Watling Youth 4-1.

There will be two evening matches on Thursday in the Under 21 Extra Competition when Brickhill Wanderers ‘A’ hosted Shefford Saints at Russell Park while Hitchin Town will play Barton Rovers at the Baldock Arena.

This coming Sunday there is a busy league programme when a few titles will be won and lost.

Clive Milton