Comeback kings net another late winner

Potton came from behind for the second time in a week to beat Olney 2-1 at The Hollow on Tuesday.

With both teams not being at full strength this was a keenly contested match.

In the opening minute Olney had a penalty appeal turned down and for the next 20 minutes dominated play with Potton making a slow start. Jack Weedon was put through and Craig Lewis saved at his feet.

In the 11th minute Jack Werndly was allowed to turn on the edge of the penalty area and his firm shot just inside the post gave Lewis no chance as Olney took a deserved lead. Werndly then had a shot blocked with Sam Parrish firing over the bar. For Potton Adam Marsh had a weak shot at the keeper.

Potton were coming more into the match and in the 23rd minute were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and Kenny Smith’s low shot beat the keeper just inside the post to equalise for Potton.

Potton did not clear an Olney free kick and from the resulting play Weedon headed over. Joe Aris had a shot deflected by a defender that went to Marsh who put it in the net only to be correctly ruled offside. From a well taken Olney free kick Smail Christian headed powerfully wide of the post. From a Potton defender’s miskick gave Weedon a chance but he shot wide. George Kiely had a chance for Potton but shot wide.

Early in the second half Joe Jordan shot wide and then after a good move by Potton he put wide again. Weedon had a shot saved by Lewis and then shot wide of the post.

Werndly had a shot pushed onto the post by Lewis and it was eventually cleared. Steve Blond had a free kick saved by Lewis.

Kenny Smith had an effort that went wide and a shot saved by the keeper. From a corner James Sage had a close range headed saved by Lewis on the goal line.

Smith was through on goal but had his attempt blocked. Ashley Yeomans made a good run but his effort went well wide.

With a couple of minutes to go Marc Umney picked the ball up about 40 yards out and made a determined run and without being challenged by an Olney defender made his way to the edge of the penalty area and his fierce left foot shot gave Potton the lead. Olney were not finished yet with Weedon heading wide of the post from a free kick and then shooting over.

A hard earned three points with the possibility of the match going either way, especially if Olney had taken their chances early in the first half. That is now three wins on the trot for Potton — it will pose selection problems for Darren Staniforth when all players are available.

At half time, in the committee room, Alan Poulain from the UCL said that Ian Williscroft had won UCL Groundsman of the Season for 2014-15. In Ian’s absence Alan Riley accepted the Certificate on his behalf.

As everyone who attended the match said the pitch was in superb condition. As well as welcoming back former player Steve Khune, who is now manager of Olney, it was pleasing to see former players Dick Newman, Paul Smith and Brad Gilham at the match.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Marc Umney, Ashley Yeomans, Nathan Field, Luke Harradine, Joe Aris (Stuart Gillies), Mark Ansell-Carter, George Kiely (Tyler Prince), Adam Marsh, Kenny Smith, Joe Jordan (Alex Taylor)