Daniel magic earns Waders win

Craig Daniel.
Craig Daniel.

Biggleswade Town conjured up a little Christmas magic to beat high-flying Dorchester Town 1-0 on Saturday.

In this Southern League Premier fixture rearranged just the day before - Waders’ scheduled opponents Cirencester were still involved in the FA Trophy - the conditions were not ideal. A chilly wind blew left to right, the pitch wet from recent rains and a very murky afternoon with the floodlights on from the off.

With Gavin Hoyte still not 100% Max York filled in at centre back alongside returning Callum Lewis and Mark Coulson, Michael King making up the quartet.

York is certainly taking to the move to the left from his usual fullback position, giving a very commanding performance ably assisted by Lewis, Coulson and King, not forgetting keeper Ian Brown who was agility itself, diving and claiming the ball with great confidence.

The only problem with Max at centre is that his long throws find him out of position for any possible counterattack. However it was his throw that found Sam Merson, the out of luck striker with the ball the wrong side of the post.

Dorchester were not too adventurous at the attacking game and very much looked content for a draw. I only noted one worthwhile attempt which our man comfortably dealt with in the fourteenth minute.

Inih Effiong, Craig Daniel and Merson had limited chances over the first 45 minutes. A Merson free kick on target was pushed over for a corner. Daniel tried from distance but was denied by Walker in the visitor’s goal.

The Waders set about the task in the second half, knowing that Dorchester were sitting back. With pressure building, it was still tight and it was going to have to be special to lighten the grey afternoon.

On 72 minutes Daniel picked up the ball in his own half and did what he does best, running with the ball at his feet. Once he looked as though he had pushed the ball too far but this only aided him getting round the last defender before crossing the ball as Effiong swept in, burying the ball in the back of the net.

With time ticking and the awful thought of a long return journey with nothing to show, Dorchester made their three substitutions with very little effect. Only Jason Brookes went close to snatching the equaliser, but his header wide of the mark on 90 minutes was pure relief to the home fans.

Tony Burnett finished the game with a solo run dazzling all in his wake only to possibly run out of steam as he approached the keeper who managed to gain possession.

Tuesday’s county cup tie against Bedford was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Waders are on the road on Saturday with a league trip to Leamington.