Daniel nets late Waders winner in FA Cup

Biggleswade Town returned from Suffolk with a 2-1 win in the FA Cup First round Qualifying on Saturday.

The Waders were on a hiding to nothing against Brantham Athletic, who play at a lower level, but they got the all important victory to go into the second round qualifying draw.

Biggleswade created all the chances in the first 25 minutes, with Sam Merson, Ian Rees, Coulson plus Craig Daniel all going close. Hoyte, up for corners, always managed to get a head above the defenders but without accuracy.

Brantham signalled their intent, with strong tactics with Merson, York and Hoyte all being felled by challenges. Brantham mounted their first attack after 25 and tested the defence with a free kick from just outside the box that skimmed the bar.

On 38 minutes Brantham threatened and delivered as the ball was not cleared from a corner kick and Sean Gunn punished Town with a crisp shot beating Ian Brown from close range.

Three minutes later Brown was forced into a fingertip save to keep the Waders very much in the game.

Out for the second half as you would expect it was all Biggleswade. Chances were coming with monotonous regularity every two minutes, but no goals.

The team management then pulled off a stunning substitution, with Hill replaced by Jay Davies. Davies playing wide allowed Craig Daniel to move further into the middle. With Davies working his tricks down the flank, Burnett and Ian Rees were cannoning the ball against the woodwork.

It all came good in the 70th minute as Daniel, running in at the far post, powered a shot past Ryan Beddingfield, who had performed miracles in the Brantham goal up until then.

Max York hit the post, Burnett and Daniel went close as Waders pushed on. It was Daniel again from a more midfield role that picked the ball up 25 yards out before crashing an unstoppable shot through a melee of players to net the winner with four minutes to go.

There is no shame for the Suffolk side who gave their best and certainly had the travelling faithful worried until deep into the second half.