Depleted Arlesey punished at Uxbridge

First for sports news PNL-140425-121437003
First for sports news PNL-140425-121437003

Arlesey were depleted for their Southern League Division One Central game at Uxbridge on Saturday - but the 4-0 scoreline was a somewhat harsh result and the gap between the teams was not that great.

On a cold day Arlesey were forced into changes for this one, Ben Farrell was suspended, Louis Lee unavailable and Jack Vasey injured. Then Sam Willett reported in injured on the day. Balanced with this Andre Maltay and Tarum Dawkins came back into the squad from long term injuries.

Before the kick off Uxbridge presented their manager Tony Choules with a vase to mark his 500th game as Uxbridge manager which is an achievement at any club.

Uxbridge started strongly as they pressed forward gaining a couple of early free kicks on the left but Arlesey defended well and cleared the danger. Arlesey responded as Dave Deeney found Bill Plumpton from a free kick and he put in a cross that was half cleared then recycled well to Christian Tavernier who shot from the edge of the box but it went just over the bar. From a throw Nathan Olukanmi hit a volley goal ward but it was well taken by Paul McCarthy.

An Uxbridge corner was not cleared effectively and the ball bounced around in the box begging to be hit in but eventually Nick Thompson grabbed it from amongst the scramble of legs. Arlesey countered as Luke Abraham made a good run and put in a good cross that McCarthy just claimed in front of Lewis Wilson.

Ash Deeney turned awkwardly and went down in pain and was then after treatment stretchered off the pitch obviously in a lot of pain, he was replaced by Andre Maltay.

Uxbridge continued to press forward and a good ball over the top found Reece Grant who ran through and hit a shot from the edge; Thompson coming out just got a touch pushing it onto the post and it was then cleared.

Uxbridge were closing Arlesey down quickly and working hard to apply the pressure; a cross in was deflected to Wayne Carter in clear space but he put his shot wide and from a corner Grant had a shot that went wide. Another cross in fond Carter whose header just scrapped the top of the bar as Uxbridge exploited the space that Ash Deeney had occupied. A good ball forward found Grant, Thompson again came out to close him down but the ball went back to Dave Thomas who put in a deep cross to the far post and found Carter who headed down past Thompson who had just failed to recover his ground to squeeze the ball in at the far post and a 1-0 lead.

Arlesey responded with a corner that Sean Beesley hit a shot off of but McCarthy grabbed it well at Wilson’s feet.

Uxbridge again pressed forward forcing a couple of corners that were cleared but again they closed the space down well pinning Arlesey back and not letting them get many balls forward. Matt Woods and Jon-Jo Bates combined well but the move was stopped by a really good tackle from Dave Deeney although it was recycled well and a good cross in found Carter in a great position but he put what should have been an easy header over the bar.

Bates did well as he broke through again and hit a good shot that Thompson pushed around the post with a fine save for a corner. From this Bates headed wide of the target.

There was just time before the half time whistle for Harry Carr to get off a long range shot for Arlesey but this wasn’t a problem for McCarthy leaving the score at 1-0 at HT.

Arlesey made a change at half time as Kim Forsythe replaced Harry Carr as they attempted to change things.

Arlesey had a great chance as they started well and Nathan Olukanmi accelerated past the defence and with just the keeper to beat he pulled the ball back instead of shooting and the ball went behind both Wilson and Forsythe and the chance was lost.

From a Maltay cross in McCarthy pushed the ball around the post for a corner that was met by Forsythe but his header went over the bar.

Matt Woods made a good turn and shot that brought a god save from Thompson as he pushed it round the post for a corner. This was delivered in and then cross back in from the other side before being well taken by Thompson.

Grant volleyed just wide as he was closed down by Thompson, before at the other end McCarthy dropped a ball from a free kick but Tavernier’s shot was blocked and the danger cleared.

The game turned on 65 mins as Uxbridge won a corner. A deep delivery was headed down into the danger area, in the scramble it looked like the ball had been cleared off the line as Carter made a stab at it from very close range but the Assistant indicated that the ball had crossed the line and the goal was given to make it 2-0.

This pushed Uxbridge on again bates had a shot that was well saved by Thompson and again Bates got into the box and fired a shot across the face of the goal and wide.

Arlesey replaced Bill Plumpton with Tarum Dawkins as they attempted to get back into the game. Dawkins was soon in the action as he won a heavy tackle by the touchline before hitting in a cross/shot that curled just past the far post with McCarthy stranded.

Uxbridge replaced Jon-Jo Bates with Sekani McCalmon.

Ben Peden was booked for a foul on Dawkins. From the free kick McCarthy punched the ball clear well.

As Uxbridge came forward again Woods pulled a ball back to Carter who was again well placed but he blazed his shot well over the bar.

A good ball through found Forsythe but his shot from the edge of the area was well taken by the keeper before a great cross from Olukanmi found Forsythe who planted a good header but it also brought a great save from McCarthy as he pushed it over the bar for a corner that Dave Deeney headed just over the bar.

Uxbridge replaced Lewis Cole with Celestino Terniqi.

Again Uxbridge pushed on and Carter found McCalmon whose shot was taken by Thompson, and Grant had a long range shot that clipped the top of the bar.

From an Uxbridge corner the ball was well delivered and Mark Dennison nipped in and did a flick header that flew past Thompson and the defenders into the net for 3-0.

Matt Woods then went down as it looked like he had injured his hamstring and he was replaced by Piota Marek.

With the game moving into injury time Uxbridge were awarded a free kick on the edge of the D and although Thompson lined up his wall Carter took the kick and lifted it up and around the wall into the top corner of the net for his hatrick and a somewhat harsh 4-0 score line.

This proved to be the last kick of the game.

Arlesey must now reorganise and put this behind them for next week when Northwood come to Arlesey and they will be looking for some recompense from the bad defeat there on the 1st game of the season.