Dominant Potton cruise past Thrapston

First for sports news
First for sports news

Potton dominated their match at home to Thrapston on Saturday and fully deserved their 4-0 victory.

Against Thrapston, who are just below Potton in the league table, United gave a powerful all round performance and dominated most of the play after the opening 10 minutes with some delightful football and in reality so much were they on top for the first half should have been more than 1-0 up at half-time.

In the second half they continued to pressurise Thrapston and scored three more goals to give them a comfortable victory.

Potton started very brightly with Jack Chandler playing Gary Ansell-Carter in and keeper Liam Fox saved with his feet. Don Rogers made a good run for Thrapston but soon afterwards sustained a leg injury and had to be substituted.

A poor pass across by the Potton defence saw a shot from Jedd Whiteman deflected for a corner. Thrapston forced two more corners and ended with Luke Waterhouse shooting way over the bar.

Gary Ansell-Carter headed wide from a corner and Chandler shot into the side netting when well placed. A ball fell kindly to Gary Ansell-Carter and his shot brought a fine save by Fox.

In the 12th minute a corner from Steve Muggeridge was headed into the net by Gary Ansell-Carter to give Potton the lead.

Thrapston substitute Charlie Parkin saw his deflected shot well saved by Craig Lewis. Gary Ansell-Carter played a ball to Chandler who saw his shot deflected for a corner. A good ball from Chris Reeves found Chandler and keeper Fox saved.

A fluent move involving Gary Ansell-Carter and George Kiely saw Steve Muggeridge put his effort wide before Muggeridge then headed wide when well placed. In a rare Thrapston attack Dan Bucceiro saw his low centre easily gathered by Lewis. Kiely put Muggeridge through and he saw his shot deflected for a corner. Just before half-time Whiteman had a shot that was blocked and Peter Macdonald had a weak shot at the Potton goal.

Play was fairly even in the opening minutes of the second half. Calum Forster’s free kick went wide and Macdonald saw his shot saved by Lewis.

In the 51st minute Potton were awarded a corner and from this it was headed goalwards by Reeves and Chandler headed into the net to give Potton a two goal lead. Chandler then saw his shot deflected for a corner. Kenny Smith headed the hall onto John Bailey and his attempted chip over the goalie also went over the bar as well.

In the 67th minute Gary Ansell-Carter received the ball on the edge of the penalty area, turned in beating a defender and saw his shot beat the keeper only to hit the crossbar. Muggeridge was first to react and put the ball into the net.

Whiteman had a shot saved by Lewis before Luke Harradine headed over a cross from Smith. Whiteman then saw his header saved by Lewis.

In the 90th minute Mark Ansell—Carter played a ball that split the Thrapston defence through to James Wills who calmly took the ball forward and slotted it past the keeper for goal number four.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Ashley Yeomans, Shaun Faulkner, Luke Harradine, Chris Reeves (James Wills), Steve Muggeridge, Mark Ansell-Carter, Gary Ansell-Carter, George Kiely (John Bailey), Jack Chandler (Kenny Smith),