Excellent Waders end Weymouth’s unbeaten home record

Tony Burnett.
Tony Burnett.

Biggleswade Town pulled off one of their most impressive away victories since arriving in the Southern League with a 1-0 win at Weymouth on Saturday.

Just over 500 home fans went home unhappy after Waders’ visit. The seaside resort side had been enjoying an enviable record until the boys in green came to town and inflicted their first home defeat.

Manager Chris Nunn described the Waders’ game as ‘exceptional’ but it was more than that. Modest Chris and his assistant Lee Allinson plotted and planned this, playing an unexpected high line, keeping Weymouth very much in their own half of the pitch.

This team has been evolving since August, and all 14 players who took part on Saturday did their bit. No praise is too high for this performance,

It was never going to be high scoring with only five attempts on target.

Tony Burnett put in a shift and tested the home keeper Jason Matthews several times during the first period.

The home crowd grew more and more frustrated as Weymouth had no answer to Waders’ unusual tactics. The hosts did not manage a shot on target up to the break.

Out for the second half it was much of the same as Biggleswade always looked the more likely to snatch a victory.

With Sam Merson on for Lewis Hilliard, Sam scored his least spectacular goal for the Waders to date. Ever running Burnett took two defenders with him before backheeling to Sam who just had to place the firm shot past the surprised Matthews.

Weymouth awoke from their slumber but took until the 85th minute to test Head in the Biggleswade goal. The curling shot from Tim Sills was top corner bound but Head showed his class pushing the ball over for a corner. Manger Nunn then decided to ‘park the bus’ bringing on Michael King and Ryan Blackman to see out the 90 and secure a fabulous away win.

It maintained Biggleswade’s impressive start to the season as they stay towards the top of the mid-table pack just off the top five.