Gamlingay make it a double over Cherry Hinton

editorial image

Gamlingay inflicted a second defeat on Cherry Hinton in the space of a fortnight with a 4-1 victory in the 2nd round of the Kershaw Premier Knockout Cup on Saturday.

Jamie Steele, back in the squad after missing the previous game through injury, was causing the home defence problems in the early stages and he was unlucky not to give the visitors the lead in the 10th minute when his looping header beat the keeper but bounced off the top of the bar.

The visitors broke the deadlock on 25 minutes when Leo Churms showed some impressive footwork inside the box to leave a defender on the floor before dinking the ball over the keeper.

Gamlingay went into the break with a two goal cushion when Conor Smith raced onto a Jamie Steele flick on and, with the keeper in no man’s land, executed a superb lob from the corner of the penalty area.

The hosts began the second half with purpose and they gave themselves a lifeline on the hour mark when a slick passing move through the centre was completed by Joe Bidwell who fired low into the bottom corner.

However, the Cherry Hinton revival was short-lived as Gamlingay restored their two goal advantage with a move that began from the restart. James Worboys drove forward from right back before switching the play to left where Ashley Dean and Smith worked the ball inside to Churms, and he found space for a shot only to see his low drive parried by the keeper and Harry Kennedy was on hand to knock home the rebound.

Churms was unlucky not to grab his second of the afternoon shortly after when his fierce strike cannoned back off the crossbar and was hacked away to safety while Matt Cowell kept the lead to two with a smart one-on-one save at the feet of Mark Hobbs.

The tie was wrapped up with quarter of an hour remaining when a Dean corner wasn’t dealt with by the Cherry Hinton defence and Sam Bonham was quickest to react and slam the ball home from close range.

Substitute Matt Wyllie thought he had made it five with a fine strike from the edge of the box, only to see it hit both the bar and the post before being cleared to safety.

There was some late drama still to come as a scuffle in the Gamlingay penalty box resulted in Gamlingay keeper Matt Cowell and Cherry Hinton skipper Daryl Wisbey both receiving their marching orders.

This Saturday sees Gamlingay in cup action once again as they host Milton at The Eco in the 1st round of the Cliff Bullen Challenge Cup.