In-form Arlesey send Fleet packing

editorial image

Arlesey Town’s recent good run in the Southern League Division One Central continued with a 4-1 win over Fleet Town on Saturday.

For this game Arlesey were in a confident mood after their recent improvement in form but the heavy rain just before kick-off didn’t help what was still a pretty good flat pitch although a strong wind blew down the pitch.

Before the game all in the ground observed a minute’s silence for the victims of the Paris atrocities.

Arlesey showed their strong intent as in just the first minute, Sam Willett went in for a strong tackle that wasn’t a foul on Stuart Parker; Parker went down and required treatment and after a couple of minutes he limped off and was replaced for an early sub by Josh Francis.

Francis was quickly in the action as a long ball forward sent Francis through and Nick Thompson had to be quick off his line winning the ball on the edge of his area and clearing it.

A good build up by Arlesey saw Ben Farrell put a good ball through the defence that fed in Lewis Wilson but his shot went well wide.

With the strong wind at their backs Fleet pressed forward but they favoured the long ball in; Thompson did well to claim one on the edge of his area before Craig Davis put in a free kick that was headed out but not cleared and Francis hit a shot into the crowded area that got a deflection that wrong footed Thompson and although he got a hand to it he couldn’t stop it going into the net for a 1-0 lead for the visitors.

Arlesey responded to this by pushing forward Nathan Olukanmi won a corner that was headed down to Dave Deeney who shot wide, and from an attack down the left Ben Farrell hit a strong long shot that went over the bar.

A good attack by Christian Tavernier into the box and his cross in was only half cleared to Lewis Wilson who hit a low shot that keeper Ryan Price got his hand to but he was unable to hold it and it squirmed away from him and inside of the post for the important equaliser at 1-1.

Fleet again pushed on and a cross from the left found Robb Carr and he fired a shot across the Arlesey goal and just past the far post. A counter by Olukanmi was well stopped with an excellent tackle by Ben White.

The strong wind was having an effect keeping the majority of the game in Arlesey’s half; Rob Carr flocked just wide from a cross and Arlesey had to defend. From a back pass Thompson slipped and conceded a corner and from this Thompson couldn’t hold onto the ball and from the scramble a shout for a penalty went up but this was firmly waived away by the ref. Josh Harfield put in a long shot that went just over the bar as Fleet pushed on.

Arlesey finished the half with more a degree of control as Farrell did well as he won the ball well in the centre and fed a great ball through to feed in Wilson but Prior did well as he won the ball right on the edge of his are and took the ball off of Wilsons boot. So as the ref blew for half time it remained 1-1.

Arlesey now had the wind at their backs but Fleet made the early move as Carr attacked down the wing and crossed to Ben Toye who found Simba Mlambo but his header was well wide of the mark.

Arlesey looked more comfortable on the ball than their visitors playing a more controlled game; Tavernier and Farrell combined well through the centre to the edge of the area but the ball was well cut out by a defender, Wilson then had a shot on target blocked before Olukanmi was fed through into the box; the keeper came out sliding under Olukanmi as he claimed the ball and just caught the winger as he did it. After a brief pause the ref blew his whistle and pointed to the spot for a penalty. After a degree of debate the ref booked Price for the foul and Dave Deeney stepped up to take the kick, this he firmly planted past the keeper for his 1st goal since his return and a 2-1 lead for Arlesey.

Fleet replaced Ben Toye with Jamel Johnson as they attempted to get back into game.

Sam Willett intercepted a loose ball in the centre before delivering in a good cross that Price claimed well just in front of Wilson but Arlesey were now well on top and it was no surprise as another good delivery fed Wilson through and as Price came out he slotted the ball past him for a very good goal and 3-1.

Arlesey replaced Lewis Wilson with Kim Forsythe who was yet again making a home debut for his home town club.

Olukanmi won a free kick on the edge of the area that Dave Deeney got over the wall but just cleared the bar, and a very good build up through the middle found Willett who put in a good cross that Price took well.

Arlesey now in almost total control won a corner. This was delivered in and Kim Forsythe rose to power a header past Price for 4-1 and yet another goal on a home debut and make it 4-1.

The Blues replaced Ben Farrell with Harry Carr as Arlesey kept control for the last part of the game and before the finish Jack Vasey replaced Nathan Olukanmi, but they then retained control for a comfortable win at 4-1.

This was another very good performance and it looks like Arlesey are now finding their feet as missing players return to fitness and they are actually now on a very good run.