Langford beat Winslow on penalties in cup

First for sports news
First for sports news

Langford went through in the SSML Challenge Trophy on Tuesday night after edging out Winslow United on penalties.

The match kicked off with Langford looking like they had a point to prove, in a match where neither team had won a cup tie this season.

Early on Luke Nicholl got forward to head over, Nick Threadgold latched onto a through bouncing ball, but headed narrowly wide. Langford were having the bulk of the possession, containing Winslow to the occasional forward movement, one of which resulted in Freshwater shooting wide.

Langford continued to push on, forcing free kicks and corners but were unable to fashion a goal. Mallett crossed from the right, the ball rolling along the goal line then out of play, it just needed someone to touch it in. Langford enjoyed most the play for the remainder of the half, but the closest they came to scoring was a shot against the bar by Mallett following a free kick by Ryan Nicholl.

The second half started with Winslow having possession and creating the most pressure, but their reward was a corner, that was cleared.

Threadgold had a shot saved by the Winslow keeper. Back up the other end went Winslow, Karwacinski found himself in front of the open Langford goal, but somehow contrived to scoop the ball high and wide.

Both sides made substitutions which broke the play up, it was Winslow who broke the deadlock in the 66th minute when Leo Brooks shot following a cross from the right 0-1. Langford fought back with Waite striking a shot against the bar, Threadgold thundered the rebound against a defender, when placement may have been a better option. Then after 79 minutes the move of the match unfolded.

Stephen Brooks picked up the ball in his own half on the right, drove forward, cut inside, beat four defenders and shot into the top corner despite Kirkwood in the Winslow goal getting a hand to it to make it 1-1.

Both sides shared possession and bookings in a sour tempered finish to the match.

So we moved to penalties.

Langford’s penalties were all taken with nerveless accuracy, all five being converted by Luke Nicholl, Nathan Larkier, Stephen Brooks, Ryan Nicholl, and Nick Threadgold.

Langford won 5-3 on penalties.

Langford: Scott waters, Stephen Brooks, William Sells, Luke Nicholl (capt), Ryan Nicholl, Nathan Mallett, Connor Waite, Nick Threadgold, Matt Kenneford, Chris Butler.

Subs; Steve Monks, David McGuinness, Jack Brown (used).