Langford fall to odd goal in seven

editorial image

An end to end game ended with Langford losing 4-3 at home at Winslow United in SSML Division One on Saturday.

The game started in heavy rain on a saturated pitch. It was end to end from the kick-off, with Langford having a slight edge with David Tembua crossing from the righ to Stephen Brooks whose pass found Nathan M who shot wide from 15 yards out.

Winslow picked up the pace and started playing balls in behind the Langford defence, this paid off in the 12th minute when Grant Karwacinski shot the visitors ahead.

Six minutes later Langford were level, following a three man passing move Nathan Mallett shot in from inside the penalty area.

The Reds then enjoyed some possession, their best move coming from a cross by Jack Brown which David Tembua drove fiercely against the bar. But on 30 minutes, following a run by Charlie Flanagan, Grant Karwacinski scored his and Winslow’s second.

The game settled into a midfield deadlock, which was broken in the 40th minute when Lloyd Barzey made a run passed to Charlie Flanagan who was not closed down, and had time to curl his lob into the far top corner to give Winslow a 3-1 lead.

The second half again saw end to end football, but Langford had more possession and fight, which led to a cross coming quickly to Nathan Mallett who could not control the ball which when wide of the post.

In a rare breakaway Winslow’s Charlie Flanagan found himself one on one with Marco De Lauri in the Langford goal, the keeper diving and taking the ball off of the attacker’s feet. Then in the 70th minute Matt kenneford crossed for Ben Stocker to head Langford’s second, beating the keeper high to his far post 2-3.

Again a Winslow long ball found Charlie Flanagan one on one with the Langford keeper, his shot rolling tantalisingly past the right hand post. In the 76th minute Nathan Mallett picked the ball up and dribbled into the Winslow area, his shot somehow creeping under the keeper to level the scores.

End to end football followed with neither team making any good goal scoring chances until in the 85 minute a speculative shot hit a Langford player on the arm, which was not raised, a penalty was awarded. Up stepped Mark Wiltshire to score the winner from the spot.

Langford tried desperately to equalise but could not open up the Winslow defence.

Langford: Marco De Lauri, David McGuinness, Allie Jaward, Ben Stocker, Luke Nicholl (capt), Ryan Nicholl, Nathan Mallett, Stephen Brooks, Jack Brown, Matt kenneford, David Tembua.

Subs: George McMillan (used), Kyle Watson (used), William Sells (used).

Langford’s next match is away at Buckingham in SSML Division 1 on Saturday, November 21 at 3pm.

The Reserves’ next match is at St Margaretsbury Reserves in SSML Reserves Division South & East on Saturday, November 21 at 3pm.