Langford fightback falls just short

Langford fought back from 5-1 down at home to Codicote on Saturday but were unable to find a leveller - losing in a nine goal thriller.

The SSML Division One match kicked off with both teams playing three at the back and it was immediately obvious there would be goals in the game.

Codicote started the brighter and played with a plan, and in the fifth minute it paid off. A free kick taken from the left was poorly defended allowing Stephenson to head in.

Codicote were having the better possession and fullback Cawcutt picked up the ball in the right channel beat three defenders and shot home.

Langford were playing as if in a trance, still shell shocked from the goals, and just two minutes later the Inediuno / Stephenson combination worked again as Codicote went 3-0 up.

Langford appeared at a loss in defence but were good going forward, in the 18th minute Brooks picked up the ball in midfield and raced through the Codicote defence and thumped in a shot from close range.

The game settled into a midfield scramble with neither team keeping possession for long or creating chances. Then the game opened out with end to end play. In an attack in the 40th minute Codicote were handed a soft penalty for a tackle. Stephenson stepped up to score from the spot.

One minute later Codicote were given another penalty, Stephenson again stepped up to give the visitors a 5-1 half time lead.

The second half started with both teams seemingly unable to put a decent passage of play together. In an effort to change things Langford made two substitutions with Jordan carter and Gareth Hunt coming on for Nathan Mallett and David McGuinness.

The Reds settled and gradually played their way back into the game, shooting wide and then forcing a save from the Codicote keeper with his legs. On 66 minutes Langford took a quick free-kick out to Carter who crossed to Kenneford who curled the ball into the top corner.

In the 75th minute Kenneford picked up a pass following a run from Brooks and shot from 25 yards into the net.

Play was broken up by a series on substitutions and bookings, until Langford were awarded a penalty for handball in the 82nd minute. Luke Nicholl stepped up and in true captains fashion shot low and hard to score and make it 5-4.

However the game was played out without further incident and Langford fell a goal short.

The Reds visit Barton Rovers in the North Beds Charity Cup first round on Tuesday, September 15.

Langford: Aaron Bodger, Nathan Larkier, Ross Scotney, Luke Nicholl (capt), Stephen Brooks, David McGuinness, Nathan Mallett, Ryan Nicholl, Kyle Watson, Matt Kenneford, Chris Butler.

Subs; Gareth Hunt (used), Sam Harwood (used), Jordan Carter (used), George McMillan, Josh Wilsun