Langford move third in table with five goal haul

Langford cruised past a determined Winslow side 5-0 to move into third place in the SSML Division One on Tuesday.

The game started at a frantic pace, with both sides pushing forward looking for an early opening. Langford were creating better chances, with Tyler Ingham lifting an early shot high over the bar.

Winslow applied pressure but all their play petered out in the final third when they came up against a well-organised home defence.

Unsurprisingly, Langford went ahead, Tyler Ingham running beyond the visitor’s defence and crossing for James Potter to tap in unmarked at the far post.

The home team continued to push forward, and were further rewarded when, after 33 minutes, the same two players combined, James Potter played in Tyler Ingham to slot the ball past the keeper.

Langford were forced into a reshuffle due to an injury to Michael Moss. However, they continued to play high up the field, and on 50 minutes, Deon Putnam crossed to James Potter who laid the ball back for Dale Turney to thump the ball home from 18 yards.

In a rare break, Ben Baines got behind the home defence, and was adjudged to have been fouled in the area. The resulting penalty was thundered against an upright and cleared.

To their credit Winslow never stopped running, but Langford started playing sublime one touch football, and for long periods, Winslow could not get the ball off them. As the game entered the last five minutes, James Potter set up Stephen Brooks to convert the fourth, and to round off a very good performance Brooks set up Putnam to slam home Langford’s fifth of the night in added time.

The Reds host Arlesey Town Reserves on Saturday and are at home to Kensington Borough on Tuesday.

Langford: Karl Gudgin, Deon Putnam, Lewis Ellis, Connor Waite (capt), Michael Moss, Steven Redmond, James Potter, Stephen Brooks, Tyler Ingham, Dale Turney, James Chisholm.

Subs: Jason Penman (used), Pat Daly, Brandon James (used), Craig Meyrick.