Langford need penalties to beat Caldecote

People who enjoy football are being asked to complete a survey about pay-as-you-play opportunities in Banbury.
People who enjoy football are being asked to complete a survey about pay-as-you-play opportunities in Banbury.

Langford needed penalties to finally see off Caldecote in the Beds Senior Trophy Second Round on Saturday.

The game at Forde Park started in a gale with intermittent driving rain. Caldecote elected to start with the wind behind them, this together with the wet pitch made conditions, especially for Langford playing into the wind and the setting sun, difficult.

With the wind playing a big part Caldecote played their football in Langford’s half, and after 10 minutes a cross found Sam Julian free at the far post with time to score Caldecote’s opener.

Langford tried to play their way back into the game, and gradually gained more of the possession, with Matt Kenneford shooting over the bar. Then followed a move featuring Ryan Nicholl allowing Nathan Mallett to get off a stinging shot, which was just too high. Then on 31 minutes David Tembua, who was Langford’s danger man all afternoon, picked up the ball on the right wing, he jinked past two defenders then cut inside, his far post shot beating the keeper.

More Langford pressure followed, but no goal scoring chances were made.

From the restart Langford pushed forward, but despite chance after chance failed to score, the longer the game went on the more frustrated they became. Caldecote went down to 10 men in the 68th minute when Cameron McCoy was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

Almost immediately Langford were awarded a penalty, which Luke Nicholl contrived to put the wrong side of a post. Caldecote took heart, and following a flurry of substitutions, poor defending by Langford allowed Nick Thomas room to run and shoot past Eely in the Langford goal.

The game swung from end to end, then in the 83rd minute Ben Stocker shot from 25yds strongly into the Caldecote net to level.

Langford pressure coupled with poor finishing and last ditch defending by Caldecote, meant penalties were necessary and the home side won 4-3.

Langford: Dan Eely, David McGuinness, Ross Scotney, Ben Stocker, Luke Nicholl (capt), Ryan Nicholl, Nathan Mallett, Stephen Brooks, Sean Murray, Matt kenneford, David Tembua.

Subs: Jack Brown (used), Allie Jaward, George McMillan (used).

Langford’s next match is at home to Winslow United in SSML Division 1 on Saturday, November 14.The Reserves’ next match is away at AFC Dunstable Reserves in SSML Reserves Division South & East on Saturday at 2pm.