Murray header earns Langford a point

First for sports news
First for sports news

A late header earned Langford a deserved point in a 1-1 draw at Risborough Rangers in the SSML Division One on Saturday.

Risborough attacked from the start and immediately showed their intent, Martin Griggs made a run down the right wing and crossed only to see Sam Ward shoot high over the bar.

Rangers continued to dictate the play, having most of the possession and creating chances, but poor finishing denied them a goal. Then after 20 minutes they got it right, Steve Tavender passed to Sam Ward who shot on target giving Marco De Lauri in the Langford goal no chance 1-0.

Both sides were playing good passing football, with Risborough having the best chances, then Langford started to retain more possession, winning two free kicks in quick succession, both of which were cleared.

The Reds finished the half on top forcing Jack Brooker in the Risborough goal to make two good saves.

Langford started the second half looking as if they had something to play for the closed down quicker, pressured the ball all over the pitch, and generally retained possession much better. Most of the possession was with the visitors and although they made chances the nearest they came was a header against a post from Ben Stocker.

In the final minutes Langford piled on the pressure mounting attack after attack, winning a series of corners. In the 93rd minute Kyle Watson took a corner from the right, Sean Murray rose high above the defenders to head firmly home from five yards out.

The referee still found a further three minutes and Langford continued to push forward, causing the home crowd to shout for time, however they could not find a winner. This was a great team effort from a rejuvenated Langford side.

Langford: Marco De Lauri, David McGuinness, Ross Scotney, Ben Stocker, Luke Nicholl (capt), Ryan Nicholl, David Tembua, Stephen Brooks, Sean Murray, Matt kenneford, Allie Jaward.

Subs: Jack Brown (used), George McMillan (used), Kyle Watson (used).