Pointless Arlesey slip to third straight defeat

First for sports news
First for sports news

Arlesey Town remain pointless in the Sotuhern League Division One Central after a 2-0 defeat at home to Aylesbury FC on Saturday.

Whilst the game was never really a classic, the visiting Moles did just about enough to justify their victory.

Arlesey’s Luke Abraham smashed a ball from 20 yards which FC keeper James Weatherill safely gathered.

A bizarre 10th minute clearance from Ash Deeney saw the Arlesey man clear the ball from the line but from the resulting Gareth Price corner, Jeanmal Prosper rose higher than anyone else to plant a firm header past keeper Nick Thompson for the opening goal.

As the game settled, Kyle Anthony had a half chance from distance before the home team’s best chance of the game so far. Striker Lewis Wilson saw his powerful effort saved by keeper Weatherill and the well struck rebound from Anthony Wright brought about an excellent block from Ben Bateman.

Arlesey were now enjoying the lion’s share of possession. Osamu Alman broke on the right and his snapshot brought about a fine save from Weatherill. In the final action of the half, Aaron Morgan’s daisycutter took a deflection and spun wide.

The second half began with the home team almost grabbing an equaliser in what would prove to be their best chance. A melee in the box saw the ball fall to former Aylesbury player Dave Deeney and the midfield man was unfortunate to witness his rocket shot crash onto the bar and see it rebound back down before bouncing back into play.

James Dobson may have had better luck with a 63rd minute free kick as would perhaps Gareth Price who was just unable to make contact with Lynton Goss’ teasing cross for Aylesbury. FC were enjoying a period of good pressure as Dobson hit another shot over the bar and then Goss had a gilt edged chance to increase the score line. He should have chipped the ball over the stranded keeper but instead he chose to run in on goal. It was not the correct decision as a well-timed block from a home defender cancelled out the move.

Substitute Ryan O’Toole had a half chance of 73 minutes and at the other end Arlesey’s Ben Ford hit a shot skywards. Ford had a similar opportunity a few moments later and again the outcome was a strike with plenty of power but not enough accuracy.

The final action saw Jamie Rudd hit the home side on the break and start the break which would lead to a second goal. His pass from the right hand side found Lynton Goss who unselfishly swept the ball to Gareth Price and the FC striker smacked the ball home for the third consecutive game to make all three points safe.

Arlesey head to county rivals Bedford Town on Tuesday, August 18 looking for their first points.