Potton beat Blackstones with fine second half display

Potton United eventually kicked into gear to win 3-0 at Blackstones in the UCL Division One on Saturday.

After not having a match the previous weekend it took some time for United to get into their stride and they did not really perform well until the second half.

On a sticky pitch Blackstones proved a difficult side in the first half. In the first minute Jack Eldridge, who proved a lively centre forward, was through and Will Cook did well to push the ball clear.

The next quarter of an hour proved frantic before Nick Finney saw his effort on goal blocked for a corner and a spell of Potton pressure in Blackstone’s penalty area.

Jake Pell put the ball though to Eldridge who shot narrowly over with Cook quickly closing him down. Just before half-time Eldridge was put through again but Luke Harradine put in a tackle.

Words must have been said at half-time because Potton came out a different side. Sam Piesse saw his free-kick bounce just in front of keeper Lee Crochet who did well to collect safely. Then Crocket saved a free kick from Calum Forster.

On the hour Aiden Maclean got to the ball first from a Piesse low corner and shot into the net to give Potton the lead.

It was all United now with Danny Webb seeing his shot saved, Charlie Stafford firing high and Harradine heading over.

However on one occasion Blackstones broke quickly catching the Potton defence out of position and the ball was played to Andre Williams who missed with the goal at his mercy.

Blackstone were to rue this because in the 82nd minute Ansell-Carter shot over the keeper from 20 yards to increase the lead.

In injury time neat passing between Joe Jordan and Forster ended with a pass to Webb who scored number three.

Potton host Burton Park Wanderers on Saturday.

Potton United: Will Cook, Calum Forster, Charlie Stafford (Joe Jordan), Shaun Faulkner, Luke Harradine, Aiden McClean, Danny Webb, Matt Chapman, Gary Ansell-Carter, Nick Finney (Cory Cooper), Sam Piesse.