Potton fail semi-final College examination

First for sports news
First for sports news

Potton United’s hopes of winning the Beds Senior Trophy ended in 2-1 semi-final defeat at a determined AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College on Saturday.

Playing against the strong wind in the first half Potton had efforts from George Kiely and Gary Ansel-Carter blocked before Aaron Chaplin was put through and his effort went just wide of the Potton post. Kiely found himself running on goal and his shot over the advancing keeper went narrowly wide.

John Bailey saw his long range shot go wide of goal and a good pass from Steve Muggeridge found Kiely who saw his shot well saved by keeper Drew Holyoak.

In the first minute of the second half Luke Harradine was harshly adjudged to have handled the ball from close range in the penalty area but Tim Clarke’s weak spot kick was easily saved by Craig Lewis.

Bailey had another long range shot go wide but in the 58th minute Ash Windridge was played through, looking suspiciously close to offside, and he took the ball on before calmly shooting past Lewis to give Kempston the lead.

Bailey had a shot go over the bar and Muggeridge had a shot blocked for a corner. In the 64th minute Potton were awarded a free kick and Bailey saw his effort pushed out by the keeper only for Laurie Allen to put it in his own net for Potton’s equaliser.

Potton’s defence did not tackle Windridge and his effort was well saved by Lewis. Kenny Smith was played through and he saw his low effort rebound from the post to Kiely who saw his effort saved.

Courtney Boughton evaded a couple of tackles and saw his effort go just wide of the post. Within a minute Smith, Joe Aris and Kiely all had efforts blocked on the line following a corner. A free kick from Callum Forster found Gary Ansell-Carter unmarked and his diving header went the wrong side of the post.

In the 84th minute Boughton played a ball down the right to Mike Stephenson whose low centre was turned into the net by Windridge for what proved to be the winning goal.

Smith had his free kick saved by Holyoak and then John Bailey saw his free kick hit the top of the cross bar and go out of play. With Potton pushing for the equaliser Allen broke away and saw his shot saved by Lewis.

It was a disappointing result for United and it could be argued with a little bit of luck and taking chances Potton could have won but on the day Kempston looked as though they wanted it more.

Potton return to UCL Division One action on Saturday with a trip to Lutterworth Athletic.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Mark Ansell-Carter, Marc Umney, Calum Forster, Luke Harradine, Chris Reeves, Steve Muggeridge (Kenny Smith), Joe Aris, Gary Ansell-Carter, George Kiely, John Bailey