Potton held at Blackstones

Kenny Smith of Potton
Kenny Smith of Potton

Potton United had to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw at Blackstones on Saturday.

Both teams had selection problems before this UCL Division One fixture. With player unavailability Potton’s bench consisted mainly of players who were carrying knocks and introduced Daryl Wisbey in defence.

Blackstones were without the services of their regular keeper as he injured himself at home falling downstairs with a vacuum cleaner, but his deputy Mark King had an outstanding game.

This was a competitive match played on a stick surface and in the end both teams had to settle for a point.

Early on John Bailey lost the ball in midfield and this resulted in Scott Ginty forcing a save from Craig Lewis. George Kiely had a shot blocked for Potton and at the other end Matt Simpson fired over the bar.

In the 14th minute from a corner Daniel Evans headed into the net to give Blackstones the lead. This seemed to spur Potton into action and a pass from Gary Ansell-Carter saw John Bailey shoot wide of the post and receiving a throw in Kiely turned and shot just over the bar.

Then Joe Jordan shot well wide before Sam Strange forced a good save from Lewis and then Lewis saved at the feet of Strange. Joe Jordan had a low shot that was pushed for a corner by King before a good move saw Gary Ansell-Carter shoot into the side netting.

Adam Sparks was allowed to make a run from defence but shot weakly at Lewis. In the 42nd minute Potton were awarded a free kick and a long kick from Jordan was headed back across goal by Dan Woodhead for George Kiely to equalise from close range for Potton.

In the first minutes of the second half Lewis spilled a shot and then had to block an effort from Jones de Souza. After this Potton had a spell dominating play with Kenny Smith seeing his shot well saved by King before his next shot was wide of target.

There were some niggly off the ball incidents that the referee called the captains together and warned if any more they would go straight into the book.

Against the run of play a centre from Ginty was turned into his own net by Chris Reeves. Blackstones had an appeal for a penalty turned down by the referee and at the other end Calum Forster was tackled from behind in the penalty area and again the referee did not award a penalty.

In the 78th minute Potton equalised when a well floated free kick from Forster was headed home by Kenny Smith. Potton were looking for the winner and King did well to save at the feet of Gary Ansell-Carter.

On the break De Sousa was through on goal but his effort was well saved by Lewis. Kiely had a shot pushed over by King and then saved a header from Marc Umney.

A good move resulted in Gary Ansell-Carter shooting over before Matt Cook broke away and Lewis saved his effort. In the last minute Kiely had a good strike on goal and a defender threw himself at the ball to make a tremendous block.

Next Saturday Potton United entertain Long Buckby AFC at The Hutchinson Hollow.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Daryl Wisbey, Daniel Woodhead, Shaun Faulkner, Marc Umney, Chris Reeves, Joe Jordan (Calum Forstr), Kenny Smith, Gary Ansell-Carter, George Kiely, John Bailey (Mark Ansell-Carter).