Potton let lead slip at Bugbrooke

editorial image

An under-strength Potton United squad let a lead slip to lose 2-1 at Bugbrooke St Michaels on Saturday.

Bugbrooke achieved the double over Potton this season and this was their first league win since November 14.

The story before the UCL Division One was both sides had difficulty in raising a full side with Potton having just 11 players and one substitute. Bugbrooke had a bare 11 to start with and to achieve that had to use a Reserve player.

Both sides were without key players for one reason or another and at least three of Potton’s side carrying injuries.

Whilst the second half performance was disappointing it has been the lack of total commitment from some of the players that has been extremely disappointing for some of the season, and the reason that Potton have dropped some silly points.

On Saturday they visit second placed Northampton ON Chenecks and will need a full squad available if they are to have any chance of taking the points.

In the first half on Saturday Potton played up the slope and dominated most of the play on a slightly bumpy pitch, but again lacked the penetration up front.

Both sides were losing the ball in midfield before an effort from Mark Ansell-Carter went high and wide. A free kick from Calum Forster eluded everyone and then Kenny Smith headed on for Marc Umney to head wide.

However on 28 minutes Bugbrooke’s central defender Jamie Inwood deliberately handled the ball and was shown a yellow card. From the resulting free-kick John Bailey saw his shot blocked but it fell to Kenny Smith who fired home.

Sam Kelly saw his effort go over the bar and then Bailey centred for Smith to head over. Bailey attempted a long shot that went over the bar. Gary Ansell-Carter saw his shot easily saved and just before half-time, at the other end, he made a tremendous tackle to stop Joe Handley having a clear shot at goal.

The second half was completely different with Bugbrooke attacking most of the time. In the opening minute of the second half Joe Howard attempted a long shot that Craig Lewis did well to get his finger tips to and push onto the bar and over for a corner.

In the 49th minute Dean McCafferty mad a run down the right and in attempting to clear the ball Kelly turned the ball into his own net to give Bugbrooke the equaliser.

To make matters worse for Potton Marc Umney limped off with a leg injury and had to be substituted. Smith headed over from a Forster cross and then McCafferty saw his shot well saved by Lewis.

It was Bugbrooke who looked as though they were going to score the next goal and so it proved to be in the 72nd minute when Charlie Hynman made a run down the right and his centre was headed home by Handley from close range.

Before the end Forster had a couple of good efforts diverted for corners and Smith had an effort that was deflected just wide of the post.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Calum Forster, Sam Kelly, Mark Ansell-Carter, Luke Harradine, Chris Reeves, George Melrose, John Bailey, Gary Ansell-Carter, Kenny Smith, Marc Umney (Lee Swain).