Potton’s Vase run ends at Wembley

Football SUS-150809-143114001
Football SUS-150809-143114001

Potton’s seven match winning run came to an end when they lost 3-2 at higher grade Wembley in the FA Vase on Saturday.

However the scoreline was a big improvement on two years ago when Potton, then on a six match unbeaten, visited Wembley in the same competition and lost 6-0. This match was really decided by the speed and movement off the ball when Wembley attacked.

Wembley were on top in the early stages and Wayne Walters headed narrowly wide from a corner. In the seventh minute a poor back pass from Luke Harradine was intercepted by Yassine Femmi-Gil and with Craig Lewis hesitating, the forward scored the opening goal.

Marc Umney had an effort that went well wide but in the 12th minute with their first good move of the match Potton equalised. Steve Muggeridge played the ball to Kenny Smith whose pass was swept into the net by Gary Ansell-Carter.

In the 23rd minute Potton defence were slow in closing Alex Witham down and he was allowed to dribble and fired a fierce shot past Lewis to give Wembley the lead again.

Potton were struggling to defend against the speed attacks and Calvin Kasirye saw his header go over the bar before Lewis saved well from Witham. Umney had another shot that went wide before Zaied Sabti was put through but shot over the bar.

Just before half time a long range shot from Shaun Faulkner finished on top of the net.

Although words were said at half time in the Potton dressing room Wembley were still attacking at speed and Kasirye made a good run and shot just wide.

Potton had a corner that was cleared off the line and then they took a quick free kick that saw the keeper save Muggeridge’s effort. In the 55th minute Wembley had another quick break and without being tackled Witham went through and his hard shot gave Lewis no chance.

Manager Darren Staniforth introduced sub Georg Kierly and his pace was suddenly causing Wembley problems.

He saw his effort well saved by the keeper and then Kenny Smith fired well over from the edge of the penalty area.

In the 75th minute Potton were awarded a free kick and from this the keeper fouled Kierly and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Calum Forster made no mistake to reduce the lead.

Gary Ansell-Carter make a strong run and then saw the keeper make a tremendous save to deny Potton the equaliser.

Potton were pushing forward for the equaliser and this allowed Wembley to make some quick breaks that saw Lewis make four good saves on the trot to keep Potton in the match. In the closing minutes Gary Ansell-Carter saw his attempt from 20 yards go over the bar.

The match was played in a good spirit on a good playing surface. It was well controlled by the young Stevenage referee.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Calum Forster, Ashley Yeomans, Shaun Faulkner, Luke Harradine (George Kierly), Chris Reeves, Steve Muggeridge, John Bailey (Stuart Gillies), Gary Ansell-Carter, Kenny Smith, Marc Umney

Manager Darren Staniforth received the UCL Division One Manager of the Month for September with the team winning 4 league matches and 2 cup ties.