Potton show Boston too much early respect

First for sports news
First for sports news

lPotton showed too much early respect for their Premier Division opponents Boston Town in the UCL League Knock-out Cup on Saturday and lost 4-2.

United were 3-0 down in 18 minutes – Potton fought back to make it 3-2 before Boston scored their fourth goal.

In a biting cold blustery wind Gary Ansell-Carter played a ball to George Kiely and his shot was easily saved by the keeper. Boston started to get on top and a through ball to Ryan Parnell saw his shot saved by the legs of Craig Lewis.

In the 10th minute Jordan Nuttall seized onto a loose ball and scored with a good shot from 20 yards that went in off the post. Nuttall played the ball to Parnell whose shot was saved by Lewis. In the 15th minute Parnell put Alex Beck through and he scored with a low shot.

Three minutes later the Potton defence failed to clear their lines and Kyle McGuigan scored the third goal.

Potton started to fight back and a good passing movement down the right in the 25th minute saw Gary Ansell-Carter take the ball on and score with a low shot to reduce the arrears. McGuigan saw his effort go wide of the post and a teasing centre from Jack Wightwick eluded everybody. An effort from Joe Aris went wide before Nuttall saw his effort go well over the bar.

Kiely had an effort blocked but from the rebound the effort from Adam Marsh was well wide.

In the opening minute of the second half an effort from Wightwick hit the side netting. Kenny Smith was in a good position but saw his cross blocked. Aaron Eyett made a good run but shot wide. A centre from Ansell-Carter eluded everyone and then Joe Aris played the ball to Smith who shot wide. In the 60th minute Potton got their reward for a spell of pressure when the ball was worked to Chris Reeves whose fierce shot was pushed out by the keeper and Adam Marsh followed up to score from close range.

Unfortunately in the 63rd minute Potton failed to deal with a long ball and it fell to Beck who turned and hit a shot from the edge of the penalty area for Boston’s fourth goal. Potton were not finished and Calum Forster saw his long range shot tipped over the bar by the keeper. Wightwick had a shot saved by Lewis and at the other end John Bailey fired into the side netting and Aris shot over the bar.

A good move by Potton ended with Smith seeing his shot well saved at full length by the keeper. From the resulting corner Reeves headed over from close range. Lewis saved at the feet of Wightwick and Michael Wood was shown a yellow card for pulling back Adam marsh when he would have been clear through on goal. Smith’s free kick was just wide of the post.

After the first 18 minutes Potton were far from disgraced with this performance against a Premier Division side that contained players that had played at a higher level of football. In addition it was the old story of some players not being available but those that did play gave a very creditable performance.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Calum Forster, Marc Umney, Shaun Faulkner, Luke Harradine, Chris Reeves, Gary Ansell-Carter, Joe Aris, George Kiely (John Bailey), Kenny Smith, Adam Marsh