Potton strike another late winner

First for sports news
First for sports news

Potton left it late again to score the winning goal on Saturday - securing a 2-1 success over Blackstones in UCL Division One.

In fact it was the third time in the last four league matches that they have scored in the last minute. On bthe alance of play a hard working Blackstones side deserved a share of the points but on chances missed Potton should have won comfortably.

Nevertheless it sees Darren Staniforth’s squad gradually moving up the table after a slow start to the season.

In this first part of the campaign he has not always had his strongest squad available but he has been more than pleased with those that have played and the determined effort they have put in for every match.

Early play favoured Blackstones and put through Jones De Souza headed over Craig Lewis but Ashley Yeomans cleared the danger. Jack Salt fired over and Daniel Evans was put through but shot over the bar.

In the 14th minute Potton were awarded a fre kick and Calum Forster’s kick found Chris Reeves who forced the ball home to give Potton the lead in their first attack.

Jordan Avis was making some dangerous runs for Blackstones but they did not result in any clear cut chances. A good run by Steve Muggeridge ended with a weak shot from Gary Ansell-Carter. Evans was put through again and his shot rolled just wide of the post. Gary Ansell-Carter and Marc Umney combined well down the left and set up a glorious chance for Steve Muggeridge who somehow scuffed his left foot shot wide of an empty net.

Potton finished strongly and a 25 yard effort from Kenny Smith beat the goalie but just went the wrong side of the post. Steve Muggeridge shot very high just before the half-time whistle.

Play was fairly even at the start of the second half and a good run from Forster saw Smith very high over the bar. Blackstones substitute Adam Scotcher was proving a handful and he burst through and saw his low shot saved by the legs of Lewis with Daniel Evans shooting wide from the rebound.

In the 52nd minute a cross from Jones De Souza eluded the Potton defence and Evans slotted the ball past Lewis to equalise.

Umney had an effort that went over the bar as did two efforts from Mark Ansell-Carter, with one only narrowly going over the bar after good work by his brother Gary. Scotcher had an effort that nearly cleared the clubhouse.

From a centre Smith headed goalwards, which the keeper fumbled, and Umney blasted the ball in the net only to be ruled offside. Minutes later the ball fell kindly to Gary Ansell-Carter and with an open goal his left foot shot was high. Scotcher had a free kick that went high over the bar and then saw his low hard shot well saved by Lewis.

Steve Muggeridge had a shot that was deflected onto the cross bar and was then cleared. A good move saw an effort by Alex Taylor blocked and then a Forster free kick went inches over the bar. During the second half Manager Darren Staniforth had used two substitutes, Alex Taylor and Lee Swain, and it was these two that combined well for Taylor to slip the ball to Gary Ansell-Carter who made no mistake in the second minute of added time to give Potton the three points.

Potton head to Thrapston in the league on Saturday, September 26.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Calum Forster, Ashley Yeomans, Shaun Faulkner, Luke Harradine, Chris Reeves (Lee Swain), Steve Muggeridge, Mark Ansell-Carter, Gary Ansell-Carter, Kenny Smith (Alex Taylor), Mark Umney.