Potton stunned by bottom side Burton

First for sports news
First for sports news

If Potton were expecting an easy game against bottom of the league Burton Park Wanderers they soon had a reality check as they lost 1-0 on Saturday.

With a full squad to pick from Potton were possibly complacent and missed some chances and Burton were worth their first league victory of the season with their defence being extremely well marshalled by Michael Tolton.

Now Potton have a two week rest before their next match on Saturday, January 2 when they visit Wellingborough Whitworth.

They need to get back to playing the style and commitment they showed when they had a run of nine league matches undefeated if the are to seriously challenge for promotion.

Potton started brightly enough and George Kiely saw his first time shot held beneath the bar by keeper Lewis Marlow. A minute late a through ball from Luke Harradine found Adam Marsh in the clear on goal and he was unable to control the ball.

Burton came more into the game and a free kick from Chris Gilligan was saved by Craig Lewis at the expense of a corner, then Lewis saved a shot from Ollie Magee. Gary Ansell-Carter shot wide after a free kick from Calum Forster.

At the other end Jordan Watt shot over the bar from a corner and Scott Richards forced Lewis to make a save. It was a rather uneventful half.

In the second minute of the second half Burton were awarded a free kick 25 yars out which Chris Gilligan took and it somehow went through the wall and finished in the net to give Burton the lead. Potton fought back and in one attack Ansell-Carter, Kiely and Steve Muggeridge all had efforts blocked from close range.

Kiely had a shot saved before a centre from Joe Jordan was headed wide by Ansell-Carter when well placed. Good Potton moves saw both Jordan and Forster off target with their attempts.

This spurred Burton into action when Sean King narrowly missed a centre, Aiden Peden saw his shot pushed for a corner by Lewis and then Gilligan shot just wide. At the other end Kenny Smith was put through but his weak centre was easily collected by Marlow. Ansell-Carter was wide with his effort before Forster saw his shot saved by Marlow. The referee, who with the two officials had controlled the game very well, then blew for time.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Luke Harradine, Calum Forster, Shaun Faulkner, Daniel Wooodhead, Chris Reeves, Joe Jordan (Marc Umney), Joe Aris (Steve Muggeridge), George Kiely (Kenny Smith), Gary Ansell-Carter, Adam Marsh