Potton suffer heavy defeat in league opener

Potton United lost their UCL Division One opening fixture 4-0 at home to Rushden & Higham United on Tuesday.

This was not the start to their league campaign Potton wanted - going behind to a goal in the second minute and then for the majority of the first half dominating play but couldn’t take their chances.

A Rushden goal early in the second half and then Gary Ansell-Carter sent off put an end to the game with Rushden scoring two more goals.

Potton made a couple of changes from the side that started the FA Cup last Saturday.

In the second minute Darryl Lawman broke fast down the left and his shot was pushed onto the post by Craig Lewis and Lewis O’Dell following up put it in the net.

It took a few minutes for Potton to recover but Joe Jordan’s attempt was saved by the keeper and Gary Ansell-Carter saw his shot cleared off the line before Adam Marsh had a shot that keeper Oli Brown fumbled.

Jed Ainge, who proved to be a good attacking defender put in a dangerous centre that eluded everyone. Nick Finney had a good run but shot straight at the keeper when well placed and then had a shot blocked for a corner.

Adam Marsh had two shots well saved by the keeper and an effort from Finney went just over the bar with the keeper well beaten. Lawman had another good run and forced a good save by Lewis.

Joe Jordan had a shot from 20 yards and saw the keeper push the shot onto a post and it rebounded to safety. Just before the interval a Gary Ansell-Carter centre was met by Jordan and his effort went just over the bar.

Rushden started the second half brightly and Craig Lawman saw his shot well saved by Lewis while at the other end a long range shot from Finney went just wide of the post.

In the 51st minute Rushden were awarded a free kick and from this Tyler Merries headed on and Jake Reynolds was first to react and scored from close range. Nick Finney had a shot saved before Gary Ansell-Carter was shown a red card for allegedly showing his studs on a challenge on the goalie.

Worse was to come for Potton when Jed Ainge worked his way down the right and from what looked was going to be a centre the ball floated over the head of Lewis and into the net. Potton introduced their substitutes and Jamie Berryman fired wide.

Lewis O’Dell fired over before Lewis was hurt in clearing a ball from the Rushden centre forward and injured his leg, but he managed to continue although unable to kick the ball properly. Adam Marsh and Joe Jordan both went close with efforts.

Ten men Potton were getting stretched with Rushden playing some neat football. A good move by Rushden ended with Darryl Lawman shooting wide. Daniel Binns had an effort go over the bar and in the second minute of added time Jed Ainge scored his second and Rushden’s fourth.

Last season we were defending well and scoring goals at will. What was encouraging from this match was in the first half we created enough chances to have taken a healthy half-time lead. What was disappointing was we didn’t and paid the penalty in the second half.

The effort from the team is there and it is early days yet and when Darren has a full squad of players (those back from injuries and suspensions) to select from there should be a change in fortune.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Marc Umney (Jamie Beryman), Calum Forster, Shaun Faulkner, Stuart Gillies, Nathan Field (Alex Taylor), Mark Ansell-Carter, Adam Marsh, Gary Ansell-Carter, Joe Jordan (George Kiely), Nick Finney.