Potton triumph in eight goal cup thriller

First for sports news PNL-140425-121437003
First for sports news PNL-140425-121437003

Potton United progressed in the Beds FA Senior Trophy after a 5-3 win over Crawley Green on Saturday.

These two teams have been paired against each other for the last three years with Crawley winning the last two.

This year Crawley had been undefeated in their 12 league matches and a hard encounter was expected. The spectators were not disappointed with Potton winning 5-3 and some excellent goals scored by both sides.

With the heavy morning rain there was doubt as to whether the match would be played but in the circumstances the pitch played very well and did not cut up.

Before the start of the match a minutes’ silence was held in respect of Remembrance Sunday and Potton sported an emblazoned poppy on their shirts.

Crawley started brightly and Sam Peveral forced a good save from Craig Lewis who tipped the shot over the bar. Henry Mungwira had a breakaway and shot wide of the keeper and soon after rounded Lewis but shot into the side netting from an acute angle.

Potton’s defence was getting stretched and a good move down the left saw Stuart Strange break clear, beat a defender and scored with a good shot inside the post to give Crawley the lead in the ninth minute.

Potton started to come back into the match and from a Calum Forster free kick the ball was headed back across the goal for Gary Ansell-Carter to score from close range.

Soon after Gary Ansell-Carter made a good run but shot wide from 25 yards. In the 21st minute Potton took the lead when a free kick from Forster deceived everyone and the ball went into the net off the post.

Chris Reeves had an effort that went wide before a corner from Joe Aris was headed home by Jack Chandler in the 29th minute. Potton were starting to dominate play and a good move resulted in Steve Muggeridge’s effort being blocked for a corner.

From a Crawley corner Mark Smith shot over from close range and then Jan Valdizko shot wide. With half time approaching the referee awarded a penalty to Crawley for a Potton player allegedly pulling a Crawley player back—even though no Crawley player was appealing for a penalty. Strange made no mistake from the spot.

Early in the second half Smith had a shot saved by Lewis and then shot wide. Jack Chandler had an effort well saved by keeper Dean Bull.

A good move saw Aris pass to Gary Ansell-Carter who shot wide with others well placed. In the 68th minute Chandler played a splendid through ball to Kenny Smith and from 30 yards out, saw the keeper off his line, shot over the keeper into the empty net.

Liam Tonney had a good effort go over the bar. Substitute George Shrieves forced a good save from Lewis and Liam Mcgovern shot wide.

In the 81st minute Potton failed to get any tackles in and Charlie Clayton scored with a good shot from 20 yards. This spurred Potton back into action with both Chandler and Aris having shots just off target before a ball from Chandler just eluded Gary Anbsell-Carter.

In the 88th minute Gary Ansell-Carter chased a ball that looked to be going out, beat one defender and worked his way in to score with a low shot past Bull. Crawley kept fighting to the end and Tom Barnet shot just over the bar.

After the match the talking point was again the decisions of the referee and one of his assistants — it was felt they were equally bad for both teams.

On Tuesday, November 10 Potton visit Stotfold in the North Beds Charity Cup and the following Saturday entertain Thrapston Town in the league.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Calum Forster, Mark Ansell-Carter, Shaun Faulkner, Luke Harradine, Chris Reeves (Stuart Gillies), Steve Muggeridge (Ashley Yeomans), Joe Aris, Gary Ansell-Carter (George Kiely), Kenny Smith, Jack Chandler.