Potton's bad day against Buckby

Long Buckby made it six successive league wins on the trot on Saturday winning 3-0 against a Potton side that did not really perform well on the day,

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 3rd February 2016, 10:09 am
Updated Wednesday, 3rd February 2016, 10:10 am
First for sports news PNL-140425-121543003
First for sports news PNL-140425-121543003

with a performance that can be really summed up as ‘a bad day at the office’ the visitors thoroughly deserved their win playing some fast attacking football and defending well.

Playing against the wind in the first minute Potton attacked and a centre from Daryl Wisbey was headed wide by Marc Umney, but after this Buckby dominated the half.

A shot from Daniel Long was deflected for a corner and from the corner that was not cleared the ball fell to Simon Barby who saw his shot go into the net off the crossbar in the fourth minute.

Buckby were proving to be faster and Manni Salumi was a handful on Buckby’s left hand side. A poor ball out of defence saw Ricky Barby shoot wide. Poor defending by Potton allowed Long to work the ball down the right and his pass was shot low into the net by Salumi in the 20th minute for the second.

A free kick from Ed Kostiuk was well saved by Craig Lewis before Simon Barby was put through and saw his shot saved by Lewis. In a rare Potton attack Chris Reeves shot wide.

Kostiuk had a shot go over the bar and Lewis then pushed a free kick from Salumi over the bar. Joe Jordan and Gary Ansell-Carter combined well for George Kiely to head over the bar. Joe Jordan shot over the bar and just before the interval Chris Reeves had a shot from 25 yards that rebounded to safety of the cross bar with keeper Oliver Manuel well beaten.

Strong words were said in the Potton dressing room at half time and with the advantage of the wind Potton came out more determined. Mark Ansell-Carter had a shot blocked and at the other end Simon Barby had a header cleared off the line by Dan Woodhead.

Gary Ansell-Carter put an effort over the bar and a centre from Jordan was cleared by Blaine Blaney. A free kick from Calum Forster was deflected and cleared off the line by a defender.

Then Lewis saved an effort from Kostiuk after a corner.

Potton had an appeal for a penalty turned down when Stuart Gillies appeared to be fouled. Woodhead then saw his header from a corner saved on the line.

However in a rare Buckby attack in the 79th minute Kostiuk worked the ball down the left and his centre was met by Ricky Barby who fired it into the roof of the net.

A tremendous pieces of skill from Gary Ansell-Carter saw him beat two defenders and then saw Manuel make an equally magnificent save pushing the ball onto the inside of the post where it rebounded into safety.

In the closing minutes a poor pass from Jordan was intercepted by Salumi who saw his fierce low shot saved by the legs of Lewis.

Next Saturday Potton visit AFC Kempston Town & Bedford College in the semi final of the Beds FA Senior Trophy, kick off 2.30pm. They will have to perform much better if they are to progress to the final.

Potton United: Craig Lewis, Luke Harradine, Dan Woodhead, Shaun Faulkner, Mark Ansell-Carter, Chris Reeves, Daryl Wisbey (Calum Forster), Kenny Smith (Joe Jordan), Gary Ansell-Carter, George Kiely (Stuart Gillies), Marc Umney.