Stotfold sunk as Hoddesdon hit five

First for sports news
First for sports news

Stotfold were beaten 5-1 at home by high flying Hoddesdon side on a real bog of a pitch on Saturday.

It was a cagey start with both teams cancelling each other out but without a real chance at either end.

That was until on the 15th minute when this SSML Premier fixture sprang into life with a mazy run from Drew Cardines cutting in from the left only to drag his shot across the face of goal.

Then a minute later an slide rule pass up the right hand channel from Jaiden Irish found Louis Taylor who ran in on goal and slid his shot under the on rushing Hoddesdon keeper.

Hoddesdon were never going to lie down and on 22 minutes a free kick on the edge on the Stotfold box was cooly dispatched into the top corner for the leveller.

Then ensued a period of play where tackles started to fly in and tempers were starting to fray.

Then a mix up in the middle of the Stotfold defence let in the Hoddesdon centre forward to run in and slot home unopposed 2-1.

For the rest of the half there was lots of huffing and puffing from both sides but but without any real quality in the final third. Then in added time at the end of the first half a good move from Hoddesdon saw the ball sprayed out wide and then whipped across the face of the goal for centre forward Summers to arrive and score with the final kick of the half.

Into the second half and 10 minutes in a carbon copy Hoddesdon move of the third goal saw goal number four hit the back of the Stotfold net. This brought about changes in personal with the introduction of Harry Orr and Ross Maddox and formation to 3-4-3 as Stotfold tried to find a way back into the game and they almost got immediate results as Drew Cardines was bought down. The penalty was given and up stepped Jaiden Irish only to see it saved.

With the last 10 minutes and nothing to lose Stotfold really went for it but as the game was stretched the now ten men of Stotfold conceded a fifth.