Ten-man Biggleswade United bag famous FA Cup win

Biggleswade United have been getting all the plaudits after progressing to the FA Cup qualifying stages with a deserved 2-1 win at Hanwell Town on Saturday.

Thursday, 4th September 2014, 4:11 pm
Biggleswade Utd FC

With it comes a cheque for £1900 and a home tie in the next round against fellow SML Premier Division side Leverstock Green.

Facing a side that had not lost at home in 15 months, newly promoted to the Southern League and flying high in second spot the North London side were odds on to win.

If the opposition wasn’t daunting enough, United suffered the loss of skipper and centre half Luke Jones early in the encounter when he fell heavily under a challenge from Lewis Putman. He was taken to the sideline to await the ambulance and replaced by Adam Randall who was required to pull off a fantastic last minute tackle with his first touch to deny Putman.

It was United’s replacement skipper, Martin Russell, who broke the deadlock in the 18th minute. Tricky footwork from Sam Nair saw him slip past a defender and cross to Russell who timed his run to perfection and side footed in to the corner.

The rise in confidence was clearly visible as they took the game to their opponents and they could have made it 2-0 before the break. Adam Drakulic skipped around three Hanwell players and once more the keeper kept his side in it, finger tipping his strike over .

The second period started with the hosts trying to get a foothold on the game but United back line was in superb form with man of the match Lee Bilcock putting in an outstanding performance s

It was United substitutes Tom Cookman and Jason Darvall that turned the game for very different reasons. Cookman was on the field for only eight minutes when a rash challenge saw him red carded with 20 minutes to go.

However, his fellow substitute had other plans. In the 79th minute a corner from Nair was punched away by Fanner. Darvall was first to the ball and his immaculate half volley flew past Fanner to make it 2-0.

When Healy finally did find the net in the 89th minute to make it 2-1 a further eight minutes were added.

But United could have even made it 3-1 but for another fine save from Fanner who scrambled away a strike from Cole as the referee finally blew for time.

This Saturday United travel to Wootton Blue Cross in the FA Vase.