United hit eight ahead of UCL cup final challenge

Potton United PNL-150217-162940002
Potton United PNL-150217-162940002

Potton United prepared for their UCL Knockout Cup final in style by thumping basement side S&L Corby in their final league game on Saturday.

The result sees United finish in third spot on goal difference with a chance of promotion - although that is dependent on decisions by league and FA officials.

Now all attention turns to the cup final against ADC Rushden & Diamonds being played at Yaxley on Bank Holiday Monday, May 4 at 3pm.

Rushden & Diamonds have won the Premier Division and will be promoted while Potton are only the third Division One side to reach the final in its 35 year history.

Their mighty opponents boast home crowds of more than 500 so Potton are hoping for bumper local support to cheer them on at Yaxley. A supporters coash is running to the game from Potton - contact secretary Bev Strong on 07703 442565 to check on any seat availability.

Against Stewart & Lloyds on Saturday four goals in each half saw Potton to a comfortable victory and with the amount of attacking they had they should have scored more.

It was the 100th game for the club for keeper Craig Lewis and he was made captain for the day. And his charges were in front after six minutes when Callum Forster’s free kick from the edge of the area gave the keeper no chance.

Potton added three more in six minutes midway through the half. Jamie Berryman was brought down in the penalty area and Forster made no mistake from the spot - then Jamie Risebrow was felled when through on goal and Forster converted to complete his hat-trick.

Gary Ansell-Carter then headed on to Risebrow who fired home.

The goal rush continued early in the second period when Jamie Berryman netted from close range.

In the 74th minute Joe Jordan scored the goal of the game, his left foot shot from 25 yards simply flew into the net.

In the final minutes Sam Sabey and Gary Ansell-Carter completed the rout.

At the end of the match the entire Potton squad went over to the stand and behind the goal to applaud the supporters for their support this season.

This was the 22nd league match this season that the team have not conceded a goal.