Waders move into play-off places

Biggleswade Town FC
Biggleswade Town FC

Biggleswade Town moved into the Southern League Premier play-off places with a 2-1 win at Histon on Saturday.

It was not so long ago that the solid line of the relegation zone beckoned after defeat at Hitchin in early November. A complete transformation since then, with minor changes of personnel and obviously a great deal of hard work, has seen the Waders go on a five game winning run..

At Histon on Saturday the boys in green were not at their best showed their appetite and walked away with the three points.

Another local derby to follow St Neots and Cambridge City was always a passionate affair with both teams ready to play on a blustery afternoon.

After just four minutes goal machine Inih Effiong ensured his name in this report by following on to a Tony Burnett attempt which rebounded back to him and he converted from close range.

Histon were crisp with their passing and quicker round the pitch and there was jubilation from home fans with 15 minutes gone after Josh Oyinsan bundled the ball over the line only to be ruled offside.

The home side pressed but with the Waders holding firm, young Ollie Fortune playing alongside big Gavin Hoyte was having a good game considering his age and experience. Ian Brown was rarely troubled and played his part in a workmanlike first half. The half time whistle was delayed by an unfortunate injury to Burnett who had to be carried from the field. Sam Merson came on, himself only just back after illness.

The second half began with the rain starting and lowly Histon with their tails up sensing an upset.

On 58 minutes Joe Carden went down the right wing and gave Brown no chance at the near post with a positive strike.

It stirred the slumbering boys in green back into action with Effiong’s trademark purposeful runs taking him beyond the last man. One run had Biggleswade going forward with two on one, Inih blasting wide when a pass inside to Merson would have been a certainty.

However Merson got the opportunity on 73 minutes as his powerful header beat the keeper with ease.

Histon tried pushing forward but the danger of Daniel, Effiong and Merson was very real and inhibited the numbers moving into green territory.

Late on the crowd oooohed as Oyinsan hit the post which proved to be Histon’s last throw of the dice. Nick Freeman, Histon’s number seven got an early bath after a late tackle on the impressive Chris Marsh as the Waders played down the excessive clock, with nearly six minutes of added time. It is the third game in a row that the opposition have finished with just ten men.

Waders were denied the chance to make it six in a row when Tuesday’s match at home to Bideford was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

They have a free weekend before hosting Bedford Town in the Beds Senior Cup on Tuesday, January 12.