Waders’ winning run halted at Paulton

First for sports news
First for sports news

Biggleswade Town’s winning run in the Southern League Premier ended with a 3-2 reverse at an improving Paulton Rovers on Saturday.

Waders made a bright start taking the game to the hosts on a difficult surface,

After the initial settling period Paulton’s Mateus was proving his worth with some tricky footwork. It was his attack that earned Paulton a corner on 14 minutes as debutant Joe Chandler found the back of the net with the slightest of touches.

With the pitch inconsistent most of the play was in the air. Waders set to the task and pressed Ben John in the Paulton goal to sky a clearance that fell neatly for Sam Merson to place into the empty net from wide right on 23 minutes.

Not having learned the lesson of the first goal, Biggleswade allowed Chandler to steal in at the back and place a firm shot past our man just after the half hour from another corner.

Again the visitors pressed through the duo of Merson and Effiong and it paid dividends as Merson put Inih through to lob the keeper from the edge of the box. At level pegging’s it was anybody’s game as the teams took a well earned rest from the cold afternoon.

Out for the second half the feeling was the next goal wouls settle the affair. Paulton pressed hard running down the slope but were thwarted by resilient defending and a superb fingertip save by Ian Brown on the hour mark.

Paulton looked the more likely as they adapted to the conditions that were getting colder by the minute. Substitute Kelvin Douglas had the kind of start we all dream of. Douglas’s first touch of the ball was from the edge of the area into the top corner of the net.

Waders again had \n uphill task and despite Vincent and Allison replacing King and York the Paulton back line held firm, with Effiong, Daniel and Merson all being demied their own moment of glory.

Waders are due to play their Beds Senior Cup tie at home to Bedford FC on Tuesday, kick off 7.45pm.