Worboys at double as Gamlingay see off Milton

First for sports news
First for sports news

A James Worboys brace and goals from Sam Bonham and Conor Smith were enough to see Gamlingay United through to the second round of the Cliff Bullen Challenge Cup on Saturday with a 4-1 win over Milton.

The hosts almost got off to the perfect start when Matt Wyllie raced on to a through ball from the kick off but the visitors were able to get back and snuff out the opportunity.

The majority of the first half was dominated by the visitors as Gamlingay struggled to deal with their movement in the final third of the pitch. However the defensive unit managed to hold strong to deny Milton any real clear cut opportunities.

It was therefore very much against the run of play that Gamlingay took the lead just before the half. There was some neat build up on the left hand side between Ashley Dean and Conor Smith before the ball was fed inside to Wyllie, and his angled through pass was fired home by Sam Bonham.

Milton were handed a golden opportunity to go in level at the break when Dean was adjudged to have fouled Chris Barrett in the box, however Ryan Traynier’s penalty clipped the stanchion on its way out for a goal kick.

Five minutes into the second half and Milton thought they were back on level terms when Barrett had the ball in the net, only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.

Gamlingay made personnel and tactical changes early in the second half with Wyllie and Dominic Ascroft-Walker making way for Nathan Macrow and the returning Joe Webb, allowing Worboys to push up top.

The impact was immediate as Worboys found Smith in the left channel and, with some work still to do, Smith found some space in the box before firing low across the keeper and into the bottom corner to double the host’s advantage.

Gamlingay pushed further ahead with 20 minutes remaining when the Milton defence were unable to deal with a long throw from Harry Kennedy and Worboys was on hand to nod home from 6 yards.

With a quarter of an hour remaining, Milton gave themselves a lifeline when Barrett beat the offside trap before rounding Matt Cowell and calmly rolling the ball into the net for 3-1.

However, Milton’s recovery was short lived, as their defence failed to clear a Smith through ball, allowing Worboys to nip in and slide the ball past the keeper and complete the scoring.

Gamlingay return to league action on Saturday with a trip to Kershaw Premier basement boys Linton Granta.