Ickwell edge past Waresley in nailbiter

Recent Ickwell action.
Recent Ickwell action.

Ickwell edged a nailbiting victory over Waresley seconds in the Hunts League Division One on Saturday.

Having won the toss Waresley put Ickwell into bat on The Green and they soon picked up a couple of wickets. A third wicket partnership of 74 between Harry Fallows (50) and Ross Fensome (33) helped restore the home side’s situation.

Once again Harry batted well for Ickwell and his innings contained ten well-struck fours.

After a rain delay had reduced the match to 29 overs several wickets fell in quick succession and Ickwell found themselves on 151-9 with five overs left. But then a very important contribution from Jamie Barnes (20 not out) enabled Ickwell to finish on 177-9.

Waresley also lost two early wickets but then Laurence Frederick (84) played well and was the cornerstone of the innings. With the score at 146-4 and Frederick still at the crease it looked very much like Waresley were in the driving seat having four more overs to get the 34 needed to win and six wickets in hand.

But then Young (4-53) bowled Frederick and the batting crumbled. Harry took two more wickets and Ross Cunningham (4-22) clean bowled the last man Tebbs to give Ickwell a win by nine runs with seven balls to spare.

In Division Two Southill Park had Kashif Bhatti to thank for pushing them over the line against Castoe & Ailsworth. He scored an unbeaten 50 as Park won by one wicket to go second. Earlier Ben Woodbridge had taken 4-27 in 11 overs as Castor were bowled out for 175.

Ickwell seconds won by 43 runs at Orton Park seconds in Division Four.

They got off to a good start with an opening stand of 73 between Andrew Simpkins (27) and Gary Norris (87), then Darren Williams (12) shared a fourth wicket stand of 58 with Norris to keep the score moving.

The innings closed after 35 overs with Ickwell on 162-6. Orton Park were dismissed for 120 with Ravi Kodikara doing most of the damage with 5-38. Sam Barrow finished with 3-18.