Caldecote batsmen tear into Riseley bowlers

Caldecote v Riseley. PNL-160713-094516002
Caldecote v Riseley. PNL-160713-094516002

Caldecote’s batsmen powered their side to victory at home to Riseley in the Beds Invitation League Division Two on Saturday.

Winning the toss and electing to bat, Ravi Kodikara fell with just three on the board. But then Sameem Safi (88) and Kai Griffiths-Shilton (71) tore into the bowling, putting on 133 for the second wicket.

James Vallom then joined Safi at the crease and weighed in with an unbeaten 61 as Caldecote scored 275-4.

Riseley’s innings followed a similar pattern with opener Jatinder Chandi departing quickly but the rest of the top order contributing.

However once they were gone the innings subsided. Sam Oakins took 2-40 and Griffiths-Shilton took 2-2 in the final over as the Riseley reply ended on 236-8, 39 runs short.

Sandy tied their Division Two match at Grafham, their top performances coming from Harry Chinn, who took 5-20, and 55 from Sam Nugent.

In Division One Langford lost narrowly at Bedford. Jordan Cleghorn took 3-48 while there were two wickets apiece for Dean Taylor and Phil Ord as Bedford were all out for 246.

Impressive kicks from Conor Robson (53) and Cleghorn (46) were followed by Joel Craven and Chris A’Barrow, who were both out on 49, but the tail didn’t wag as Langford fell 10 runs short.

In Division Three Biggleswade Town II won by two wickets at Henlow.

There was the familiar sight of a Wright captaining a Biggleswade XI although this time it was Aiden.

He asked Biggleswade to bat and they made a good start when Ben Bond ran out Trevor Boorman. Joe Gauge then removed Rory Fookes and Dan Hitchcock before Marcus Crawley and Martin Raggett put on a substantial partnership.

Crawley was eventually removed by Max Smith (caught by Harry Roberts for 42) before Ben Gauge ripped through what was left of the Henlow innings, with 20 off 5.5 overs. This included having Raggett caught by Paul Roberts for 72. Henlow were all out for 170.

The Biggleswade reply started in similar fashion in that Luke Keen was removed early on and Luke Ball and Max Smith followed soon after. Stuart Garwood departed before Harry Roberts (52 not out) and Ben Bond (29) brought the innings back to life.

Bond departed and there were quick runs from Andrew Gauge and Aiden Wright before Biggleswade reached their target with two wickets and nearly six overs to spare.