Arlesey undone by tough Tring side

Arlesey Town lost 3-1 at home to a powerful Tring Athletic side on Saturday who, with Biggleswade FC, are already pulling clear at the top of the SSML.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 12:40 pm
Updated Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 12:44 pm
Arlesey Town v Tring Athletic. Picture: Guy Wills.
Arlesey Town v Tring Athletic. Picture: Guy Wills.

Tring started strongly from the whistle and after just three minutes Alex Campana put in a cross from the left that found Aston Campbell in the box who had avoided his marker – he flicked the ball up and over Ponting from close range for 1-0.

Tring piled on the pressure with a series of corners; Kieran Turner had a shot over the bar, Joe Fitzgerald brought another good save from Ponting for a corner, and Campana had a shot before Arlesey eventually cleared the pressure.

It was 2-0 after 18 minutes. Another ball in from Campana took a deflection and came to Campbell who touched it first time past Ponting.

Ash Fuller for Arlesey Town v Tring Athletic. Picture: Guy Wills.

Arlesey fought back. A good cross in from Makuzza was well taken by Sansom under pressure from Ash Fuller and James Hatch hit a good looking shot that unfortunately hit Lorrell Smith and was cleared.

Fuller hit a great shot from 30 yards that had Sansom scrambling but the shot went just past the post and Lorrell Smith hit a shot that Sansom took two attempts to collect.

Tring started the second period like the first and were rewarded with a killer third on 49 minutes. Campbell lost his marker and received the ball in space, Ponting came out quickly but Campbell easily beat him with a shot past him into the net.

Arlesey were struggling to get the ball past the tower-like height of Carl Mensah who headed one attach clear for a throw. However this was delivered in deep and bounced up hitting a defender on the hand and the ref pointed to the spot for a very rare penalty for Arlesey.

Arlesey Town v Tring Athletic. Picture: Guy Wills.

Ash Fuller dispatched to make it 3-1 on the hour.

With time running out and Arlesey seeking a goal they almost succumbed to the sucker punch on the break as the ball came to sub Chris Vardy but he slipped in a good position and hit it wide.

Arlesey have a free weekend.