Biggleswade suffer heavy mauling at Peterborough

Rugby SUS-150618-153239001
Rugby SUS-150618-153239001

There was little joy or festive spirit at Peterborough as Biggleswade went down to their heaviest defeat for a very long time losing 67-8.

Biggleswade were without the services of several first choice players. Former captain Jonathan Hamilton played his last game a week ago as he heads for Dubai for work reasons. Scrum half Michael Trigg; centre Will Simkins and flanker Liam Dune were all unavailable and hooker Sasha Heath was out injured.

Back on parade were soldier Kyle Hookway and university lads Matt Hill and Tom Flather. Young Tom Flather bounced back from his leg injury last week and filled the big hole at number nine. At times he had a torrid afternoon but stuck to the task.

Biggleswade were in a generous mood giving the hosts an early confidence boost with an interception try. Taig Norman streaked the length of the pitch to try and catch the try scorer but even his pace was not enough. This is an unlucky ground for Taig as yet again he was sin-binned for a “professional” foul in the red zone. Last year it was for an over robust tackle that he had ten minutes out of the fray.

Biggleswade conceded an early penalty for off-side but full back Kyle Hookway was on target to cancel that out. After the early Christmas present Peterborough had a purple patch adding another two tries in quick succession to have Biggleswade grasping at shadows like ghouls in the night. The half-time score was only 22-3 in Peterborough’s favour but there was a lot more pain to come.

On a barmy December afternoon under floodlights your correspondent had time to study the string of trains passing on the line to Ely. On the neighbouring pitch playing for Spalding 2nds was former club captain Julian Davis. Julian was in charge over a decade ago but still retains his enthusiasm for the game.

On the main pitch there were periods of dogged defence by Biggleswade until the cover became threadbare. Then a Peterborough player sprinted clear for another try. The Biggleswade cause was not helped by a head blow to number eight Graham Williams and a leg injury to prop Adan Fage. The loss of these two old stagers did not help Biggleswade’s cause.

The high spot of the second half was a try for winger Gareth Rutt, his first of the season. It came after a period of spirited play with Michael Hall now at number eight leading the charge.

This was the worst defeat for am extremely long time and possibly ever in the modern era when a try is worth five points. In October 2012 then high flying Bugbrooke put sixty points on the club when the present coach Damian White was a regular member of the side.

There is now a break from league action until Saturday, January 9 when there is the start of four league matches in the month. First up is Belgrave whom Biggleswade beat in Leicester followed by Vipers and Leicester Forest. These are must win games as both the last two clubs are below Biggleswade in the league table.

Biggy: D Nott, J Caulfield, A Fage (G Rutt), K Loan, S Bukowski, M Haddow, A Pickering, G Williams (P Hall), T Flather, T Norman, M Hall, C Borg, K Hookway.