Biggy Colts secure long-awaited league win

Biggleswade Colts v Peterborough PNL-151118-114419002
Biggleswade Colts v Peterborough PNL-151118-114419002

Biggleswade Colts secured a long awaited EMRU league win by defeating Peterborough 18-7 at home on Saturday.

The combined squad of U17 and U18 Colts were again involved in a highly competitive game, on a wet and windy afternoon. It being a home match however, despite a handful of regulars being unavailable, meant that there were sufficient numbers for four substitutes!

Biggleswade were slow out of the blocks, confusion at a ruck just short of the try line, saw the visiting Peterborough player walk a couple of yards and touch down for a converted score with just three minutes gone.

Both sides had spells in the game where the passes and catching weren’t quite up to scratch, but they could be forgiven considering the conditions.

Peterborough had a lot of pace in their side, particularly the strong, athletic number 14, who was generally their go to man. Yet when he was able to break through the first tackle, it was good to see Biggy ensure that the second and third man were always in close proximity.

Despite Biggleswade limiting Peterborough to just a handful of visits to their 22, it was late on in the half before the forwards were able to finally get over the line. Tom A and Michael O’D forced their way for the latter to squeeze through, the ref happy that the ball had been grounded to make it 7-5 to the visitors.

The second-half went much the same as the first, with both sides being strong in the tackle and in defence. The difference however was where the penalties were conceded – Matt M taking advantage with two efforts for three points, successfully with one, but the strong wind pushing the second against the upright, for an 8-7 lead.

Number 8 Jacob M surprised himself with a break from outside the 22, looking to pass the ball he found his path blocked so turned back inside and a gap opened for him, a sprint to the line following a neat hand-off and was able to dot down unopposed under the posts.

The score remained at 15-7 until Matt again took the opportunity to successfully place his penalty between the sticks for a final score of 18-7.

A huge well done to all of the lads, an entertaining game for the watching parents and coaches, with plenty of the basic skills successfully displayed despite the rotten conditions. Congratulations too to Angus T for sticking it out on the touchline and taking his opportunity to get amongst it when coach Stav gave him the nod. Matt G was tenascious as always on the wing whilst Ollie T in particular had an assured game at fullback.

Squad: Derek Izzard, Jack Lamb, Jacob Martin, Liam Panton, Tom Roberts, Harry Adams, Tom Allwright, Callum Cochrane, Brook Collett, Harry Cooke, Luke Fye, Matt Gooda, Ross McKenzie, Matt Morrallee, Michael O’Driscoll, Dominic Smith, Angus Thiedeman, Ollie Trudgill, Connor Wilson