Biggy sunk by late penalties at Dunstablians

First for sports news
First for sports news

Biggleswade saw victory slip away as two late penalties saw Dunstablians win 13- 10 in their latest Midlands 3 East (South) fixture.

Biggleswade seemed to be on course for victory in the third meeting between the two sides this season. But once again Dunstablians proved the stronger outfit in the closing quarter of the match.

Biggleswade made just three changes from the side which played two weeks ago. Alex Wright made his debut starting on the bench and having a run out in the last quarter. He stood out clearly with his green helmet, non-club socks and a clean shirt.

Gavin Taylor returned to the side after three years following a broken leg and work on his house. He has been playing for the Development XV and making an impact.

Kyle Loan was the third replacement starting at prop for the injured club captain Jimmy Caulfield. Kyle had not played for the 1st XV since November 2016.

Like George North, club captain Jimmy Caulfield failed a late fitness test and was forced to rest his bruised elbow for another week.

Conditions for flowing rugby were not good. The air temperature was just above freezing chilling fingers and hands. The ball was slippery eluding many grasping hands and conditions underfoot were treacherous.

Biggleswade made a lively start down the slope towards the road but an early score was not to be had. Dunstablians had the first pop at goal but the penalty attempt was wide.

Young Matthew Morallee playing just his third game at the top level was drafted into the number nine shirt as his build most resembled the absent Jack Webb. His quick thinking led to the opening score for Biggleswade. He tapped and ran a penalty five metres out and crossed the line for the first try. Luke Haverly added the conversion.

Luke Haverly stretched the lead with a penalty to give the visitors a ten point lead at the break. Aaron Pickering replaced Kyle Loan after the interval and Gavin Taylor came on for Will Roake.

Gavin says that it is not a one-off appearance and is keen to resume his first team career. He’s a tall lad with a big heart not afraid to have a go in attack or defence.

It took Dunstablians 32 minutes of the second half to find a chink in the Biggleswade line for their first score. They then added a penalty to draw level and another penalty with seconds on the clock to snatch the lead.

Biggleswade have sunk to ninth place in the league but next up is Leicester Forest. In the away tie the two sides scored over 80 points between them with Biggleswade topping 50 for a comfortable win. Hopes are high of getting a much needed victory.